Anyone knows why Exim is running in the system?

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Wolfgan

Anyone knows why Exim is running in the system?

Post by Wolfgan »

Always trying to keep my headless raspberry as lean as possible, I noticed that exim4 is running in the system (which I didn't notice before)
I failed to get any reference of exim being needed in the forums, github or even pkg dependencies. Does anyone know if it's really needed if no email is being processed in the system?
Thx, Wolf
k-plan

Re: Anyone knows why Exim is running in the system?

Post by k-plan »

Hi,
Wolfgan wrote:Does anyone know if it's really needed if no email is being processed in the system?
.. not really, but I have noticed at well exim is running on my nanopi and odroid devices.

Thinking on of the additional install software brings this up.

Because I don't need e-mail notifications and don't have configure one during installation, I have done:

Code: Select all

apt-get purge exim*

apt-get autoremove

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

reboot

After this, no more running exim processes in htop and installed software (pihole, pivpn, rpimonitor) are running as before.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Anyone knows why Exim is running in the system?

Post by Fourdee »

Wolfgan wrote:Always trying to keep my headless raspberry as lean as possible, I noticed that exim4 is running in the system (which I didn't notice before)
I failed to get any reference of exim being needed in the forums, github or even pkg dependencies. Does anyone know if it's really needed if no email is being processed in the system?
Thx, Wolf
Hi Wolf,

Exim shouldnt be installed by default. Its possible a peice of software installed via apt-get has a dependency for it (either DietPi-Software or cmd line).

Which system are you running? and can you paste results of the following please:

Code: Select all

dietpi-software list | grep '[[:space:]]=2'
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.