Qbittorrent won't download to mounted USB drive.

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
bitpi2

Re: Qbittorrent won't download to mounted USB drive.

Post by bitpi2 »

Not really. I'm using Windows on my laptop and Win's default format tool, so it was NTFS from the beginning. I guess I will have to format usb drive with some third party tool in order to see ext4?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

you could use drive manager to have the drive format with ext4
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
bitpi2

Post by bitpi2 »

I guess I will have to backup existing files first, when I get home. Once I change the file system format and copy those files back on the drive, previously mentioned commands should work or there is some additional step before those?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

usually they should work than
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
trendy

Post by trendy »

There might be an alternative way to access the drive without reformatting.
Edit the fstab entry for the ntfs partition to look like this:

Code: Select all

UUID=XXXXXXXXX   /mnt/E449-0ACD   ntfs    defaults,auto,umask=000      0      0
Then unmount the drive and remount.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

But this will be overwritten every time drive manager is used I guess
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

And granting every user full write permissions to all files on that mount as well should be avoided, if possible.

Actually the way we mount NTFS, when added via dietpi-drive_manager supports UNIX permissions via ntfs-3g driver. sudo chown -R :dietpi /mnt/E449-0ACD; sudo chmod -R g+w /mnt/E449-0ACD should hence work to grant qBittorrent write access. Is that mount option present (grep '/mnt/E449-0ACD' /etc/fstab) and the driver running (htop or pgrep -f 'ntfs-3g')?
bitpi2

Post by bitpi2 »

Thanks guys for all the answers! I made it to work as Joulinar suggested. I had some problems with writing data to ext4 formatted USB flash from Windows, so I opened VM Pop_os and copied files to usb from there. After that once I mounted it to /mnt/usb (it gave me some random UUID by default as a folder name, but I went with "usb") all files had dietpi as a group, except the folder "lost+found", but that one is not important to me.

All in all, I didn't have to type any additional command, but just to format the drive as ext4.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

good that it is working now.

Regarding Windows and ext4. Yes this is not working ootb but there might be a change in future. With Windows10 insider Build 20211 or higher, WSL2 is supporting to mount ext4 directly into explorer.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandl ... and-wsl-2/
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... mount-disk
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Great to hear, both, that it's working now and ext4 Windows Explorer integration. I don't understand why they did not integrate an ext4 driver natively into the Windows kernel 10 years ago, but better than nothing to have it via WSL :D.