Moving to new Dietpi installation

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
r33s

Moving to new Dietpi installation

Post by r33s »

Hi ! I have a question,

I have existing Dietpi installed into Pi3 with userdata set into external drive.

I have a fresh install into a Pi4 can I mount this drive to same mounting point (than Pi3) then set dietpi userdata to this drive without losing existing data/repertories ?

Thanks
Joulinar

Re: Moving to new Dietpi installation

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

many thanks for your message. Did you tried to move SD card as well as HDD from RPi3 to RPi4? This could save your time and avoid re-installation of all software title you have available on your RPi3
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
r33s

Post by r33s »

Hi Joulinar,

I've already yet setup all into the new Pi, next step is mounting this external drive with existing folders. I'm just scared by doing something wrong.

I think I will move dietpi_userdata to dietpi_userdata_bak into the drive before :)

Thanks
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

it's always recommended to do backup of your important data before changing main parts of the configuration. As well try to stop all services using dietpi-service stop before moving user data directory.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team