AriaNG can't download any files! Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
stephane77

Re: AriaNG can't download any files!

Post by stephane77 »

Yes, I have Pi-Hole running on the same system as Docker! With DietPi software installer, I choose both Pi-Hole and Docker to be installed.

At the time, it was Pi-Hole 4 through DietPi installer. Then version 5 (pihole -up to update from SSH). I had no issues to my knowledge either with v4 or v5 and at that time I wasn't playing with docker yet... Maybe settings were fine and my mistake was pihole -up ? I could have uninstall and reinstall from your software menu but not sure at that time if version 5 was available from menu....

I used default settings in Pi-Hole since I'm using it. It says : Listen only on interface eth0. My dietpi is only using ethernet (wifi is disabled). I saw the option but with the warning I prefered at that time leaving it like that and especially that everything was working (all my devices and apps except this glitch that I have this docker now). And everything is working so I believe that Pi-Hole was setup properly with default settings from your installer.

They only thing that I don't understand is why I need to put Google DNS manually in my router if I choose the same Google DNS in Pi-Hole? Maybe because my settings are incorrect in Pi-Hole that I had to do that in the router? And mabe my settings in the router are not needed?

As long as it's safe, I don't mind changing it. Which option would you recommand in Pi-Hole? And what more would it do compare to the actual setting?

Is there any settings in my router that I should removed (DNS of Google) and maybe some other settings in the screenshots?
Attachments
Pi-Hole Settings
Pi-Hole Settings
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

You don't need to change anything on your router. You can have it pointing to PiHole. That's not the problem. Your challenge is that PiHole is not reacting on request coming from Docker running on the same DietPi system. You would need to set PiHole to Listen on all interface. This is needed as Docker has it's own interface docker0 and is not using eth0.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
stephane77

Post by stephane77 »

Thank you for the clarification and for your assistance; it's working like a charm and I understand what you told me and it make sense that router points to my RPI IP (192.168.1.108) but there one thing that I don't understand.

Why do I need to hardcode Google DNS in my router because it's already choosen in Pi-Hole?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

I guess your router makes a difference between internal LAN settings and external WAN setting. Probably DNS server on WAN would need to be something reachable on the internet. And PiHole is reachable inside your LAN only. But I need to say, I'm not familiar with your router. Maybe there are guides on the web how to configure a TP-Link together with PiHole.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
stephane77

Post by stephane77 »

Thank you again for your help. DietPi is so amazing! I never tought I would do that much on a 35$ RPI computer with only 1 Gb of RAM! It Windows 10 had an option to be light with that flexibility, it would be amazing but I still perfer DietPi, way more control and it's so nice to have many programs that can be installed without any difficulty!