Help with auto starting applications Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
haaken675

Help with auto starting applications

Post by haaken675 »

Hey everyone, firstly please forgive me for my total lack of knowledge on something that is probably not that difficult...

I am running a digital dashboard in my race car using the tuning software for my ECU on a raspberry Pi 3+. I was running Raspbian previously, but since the card corrupted i thought i would take the opportunity to utilize a lighter, faster booting distribution. So far i really like the fact that the system is light and boots 3-5x faster then previously. My only issue is i cannot for the life of me get the tunerstudio software to auto start upon bootup. The command language i used previously doesn't appear to work. I found some rightups, and the command language doesn't work either...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Joulinar

Re: Help with auto starting applications

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

just to avoid a misunderstanding. DietPi for Raspberry Pi devices is still a Raspberry OS. Ok it's an extrem lightweight (Diet) version of Raspberry OS but it's still a Raspberry OS with some cool scripting on top ;)

Are you able to start your software manually on command line?

To start a script on boot, you could create an own systemd service or use @reboot entry within your crontab.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
haaken675

Post by haaken675 »

The software will boot when manually started from the .sh file, and I can get it to start from the command line as well.

I have been trying to follow this writeup, but the commands and directories are not found apparently: https://www.bartonekdragracing.com/diet ... -speedups/

This is the command line that was used previously running raspbian (noobs) and no issue: sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
I tried modifying that for the proper directories on the new install and it does not work.

I'm no coder and usually figure out the minimum i need to get what i need to work to work. This time im stumped.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

ok you need to have a desktop. Did you already installed one? And the folder /DietPi did not exist anymore. It was moved to /boot :)

/home/root is not existing as well. It's /root
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
haaken675

Post by haaken675 »

I have the most lightweight desktop option running currently. I understand that /root is my main directory as well and have been using that.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

at what point in the guide you are stuck exactly?
haaken675

Post by haaken675 »

mkdir /home/root/.config/autostart
nano /home/root/.config/autostart/ts.desktop

Neither of these commands register. Perhaps the guide was wrong, perhaps the software has changed, idk. All I know is when i try and search how to auto start an application upon bootup, i get a ton of different answers and none of what I have tried has worked thus far.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

that's exactly what I told above
Joulinar wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:53 pm /home/root is not existing as well. It's /root
haaken675

Post by haaken675 »

Sorry, I should have clarified. I tried using just /root as well.

I'll give it another shot again later. I have been trying to get this running in between meeting today so perhaps i typed it incorrectly.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

I did a test installation on my VM and it's working quite well.