XFCE - desktop shortcuts to apps don't work

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
mafioso12dk

XFCE - desktop shortcuts to apps don't work

Post by mafioso12dk »

Hi,
I installed RealVCN with XFCE Desktop Environment and it works fine but I have one problem. When I try to run something from desktop (app): for example dietpi-config it shows a launch error window:

Code: Select all

Failed to run "dietpi-config.desktop"

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, 
the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
I searched the internet for solution and it said that the error is caused by versions of Thunar and XFCE Desktop are not compatible some way. Thunar 1.8.4 is not working properly with XFCE Desktop 4.12

Do you know about this issue and know any solution for this?
Joulinar

Re: XFCE - desktop shortcuts to apps don't work

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

many thanks for your message. Indeed it's a bug on the combination of XFCE 4.12 and Thunar 1.8. Basically you would have 2 option. Use a different Desktop or upgrade XFCE to 4.14. I found a working solution to side-load XFCE from a 3rd party repository.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
testbug

Post by testbug »

Joulinar wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:52 pm Hi,

many thanks for your message. Indeed it's a bug on the combination of XFCE 4.12 and Thunar 1.8. Basically you would have 2 option. Use a different Desktop or upgrade XFCE to 4.14. I found a working solution to side-load XFCE from a 3rd party repository.
After some googling, I wound up on this thread.
Would you mind sharing this repo link?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

basically that'*s the forum post I found http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 20#p706441

Depending on the base image you are running, you might need to adjust the Debain source file. For Raspberry Pi, it would be

Code: Select all

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/xfce-4.14/Raspbian_10/
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team