Enabling HTTPS on Jellyfin

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
LeVraiRoiDHyrule

Enabling HTTPS on Jellyfin

Post by LeVraiRoiDHyrule »

Hi,

I would like to ask for some help to enable HTTPS on my Jellyfin media server. I can't figure out how to configure it.

I've already set up a dynDNS and a domain.
I've already activated Letsencrypt in DietPi.

But I can't figure out how to configure Jellyfin.

I guess I should here select the newly created cert, but where is it stored ? Where can I get it ?

I found this while browsing on my pi :

In the README there is written that the fullchain.pem is the one that should be used for other networking applications.
But in Jellyfin, when I try to enter the /etc/letsencrypt/live/[mydomain]/ , the folder looks empty :

So I don't know what I should do to activate HTTPS on jellyfin, I didn't find documentations on how to use it with Letsencrypt in the documentation.
Could someone help me ?
I may be imprecise on a lot of things, don't hesitate to ask for more details
Thanks in advance, and have a good day
Joulinar

Re: Enabling HTTPS on Jellyfin

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

many thanks for your report. Probably you would need grand read access for Jellyfin user to /etc/letsencrypt/live/[mydomain]/ as well as to the certificates. This way Jellyfin should be able to see the files.

Another option would be using Nginx as revers proxy. Benefit would be to reduce number of ports open to the internet as you don't need to have Jellyfin port open. Another advantage, SSL/HTTPS handling will be done by Nginx fully. Means no settings needed within Jellyfin.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/networking/nginx.html

basically there are 2 options
  • Nginx from a subdomain (jellyfin.example.org)
  • Nginx with Subpath (example.org/jellyfin)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team