Raspberry Pi 4 Boot from SSD Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
baz123

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Boot from SSD

Post by baz123 »

Flashing the SSD with DietPi and booting to SSD worked for me - RPi4

I did have Raspbian installed before, so updated the bootloader first and set the options correctly before flashing the SSD.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

yes indeed you can move RootFS to SSD only and keep BootFS on MicroSD
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
manilx

Post by manilx »

trigrhappy wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:02 pm
Joulinar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:18 pm pls let us know if it was working to flash the image directly to SSD and boot from it. As this is quite a new functionality on Raspberry OS, it would be good to have some success stories ;)
FYI, I've been running dietpi directly from my SSD plugged into my USB3 port on my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB for about 2 months now. It's worked like a charm.

Just had to make sure I was running the latest bootloader software, then I used my normal image writer to write the dietpi image to the ssd (just as I did many times with sdcards), plugged the ssd into my USB3 port..... pulled out the sdcard, and pressed power.

It has worked flawlessly.
Same here for a few months....
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

thx for sharing. :)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team