Raspberry Pi 4 Boot from SSD Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Heisenberg

Raspberry Pi 4 Boot from SSD

Post by Heisenberg »

Now Raspberry Pi 4 bootloader Support Boot from USB, i use dietpi with SSD and Boot from SD Card, can i now pull SD Card Out?

Sry my english...
Joulinar

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Boot from SSD

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

many thanks for your request. No, you can't simply remove the SD card because it contains the Boot File System. First you would need to ensure to have latest Raspberry Pi firmware installed. If this is the case, we recommend to flash an actual DietPi image directly to the SSD drive and to boot from SSD right a way.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

What would be sweet is to have a VERY tiny /boot SD card .img (say around 100-500mb)

Then inside the /boot it points to the rest of the OS, so it will boot the kernel, then attach to the rest of the OS on the MUCH faster SSD

This way smaller cheaper even slower SD cards can be used to boot the device but then it fstab's to the OS on the main drive which is much faster/larger, as for removing the SD card...nah...
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

OK thanks for the information :D
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

pls let us know if it was working to flash the image directly to SSD and boot from it. As this is quite a new functionality on Raspberry OS, it would be good to have some success stories ;)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
trigrhappy

Post by trigrhappy »

Joulinar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:18 pm pls let us know if it was working to flash the image directly to SSD and boot from it. As this is quite a new functionality on Raspberry OS, it would be good to have some success stories ;)
FYI, I've been running dietpi directly from my SSD plugged into my USB3 port on my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB for about 2 months now. It's worked like a charm.

Just had to make sure I was running the latest bootloader software, then I used my normal image writer to write the dietpi image to the ssd (just as I did many times with sdcards), plugged the ssd into my USB3 port..... pulled out the sdcard, and pressed power.

It has worked flawlessly.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

@trigrhappy
many thanks for sharing, good to know that it is working now.