Implement DynDNS - dynu.com

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
naddel81

Implement DynDNS - dynu.com

Post by naddel81 »

HI Micha and team,

since no-IP is not really a free DynDNS solution (login mandatory every 30 days), there is https://www.dynu.com/.
have you thought of implementing a stable dynDNS for dietpi,yet?

best wishes!
Joulinar

Re: Implement DynDNS - dynu.com

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

I moved you topic into Request section.

For records:
Setup guide - https://www.dynu.com/DynamicDNS/IPUpdateClient/Linux
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
naddel81

Post by naddel81 »

thanks. would be gread if dietpi would have support for a free DynDNS from the get go.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

as workaround, you could set it up manually as long as it is not implemented by default. Installation steps are not that complicated and could be done easily :)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
naddel81

Post by naddel81 »

yes, will try. thanks for your support.
just wondering why no-IP is still a valid dyndns in dietpi since it does require mandatory login every xx days and is not convenient to use.
Am I only a minority using dynDNS on pi at all?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Well, you are free to use whatever DDNS service you like. Nobody is forcing you to use NoIP. It's just an offer. According DietPi statistics, NoIP was installed nearly 800 times. Which means round 4% of installations. So would not call it a minority.

https://dietpi.com/survey/
naddel81

Post by naddel81 »

I installed it 5 times until I realised it is broken after 30 days. what did winston churchill say about statistics? ;)
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

I agree there should be other options, DuckDNS is much requested and we had a more concrete discussion already, can't find it now, since many implementations are actually quite easy: A cron job which sends a simple curl request regularly, that's it. It's more the UI around it that requires some more coding. But I'll likely not find time to implement for the next release. There is one larger task that I postponed already for several versions and want to finish ;).

No-IP was, I guess, implemented after "dyndns" stopped its free service and before many new free dynamic DNS providers popped up. AFAIK there was only No-IP as (globally known) free provider for a while.
naddel81

Post by naddel81 »

yes, you are right. and noIP was a legit option back then. I guess it did not even have the 30-day-mandatory login option then.