Dietpi user, where used? Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
adsb4fun

Dietpi user, where used?

Post by adsb4fun »

Hi!

Its a bit tricky to search for this topic so if its been asked before i hope its ok. Try to search on dietpi... :)

Where is the user dietpi used? Can it be removed (or disabled with /usr/sbin/nologin)

Edit: To add,no diepti-related software is used, only replaced Dropbear for OpenSSH.
Joulinar

Re: Dietpi user, where used?

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

many thanks for your question. Best one to answer is the developer @MichaIng :)
But I guess it should be possible to disable the user using /usr/sbin/nologin

The user group dietpi is used by multiple applications (installed via dietpi-software) to be able to exchange data between them.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

There are a few things that use the dietpi user directly, network mounts (when done through dietpi-drive_manager), Syncthing and a few other software titles. But those should not require it to be a login user.

So yes disable its login shell and if you run into any issue related to it, you know what to revert as a solution attempt.

I have the user even removed on all my systems (besides the testing systems) and I aim to degrade it to be a system user on DietPi by default, probably remove it completely and use the dietpi group only for cross-software access. Instead on first login and via dietpi-config one shall be able to create a login user, optionally aside of root.

But not sure when I find time for this, there are more urgent tasks, so any help is highly appreciated. Basically we need to go through the code and see where/how dietpi user is used. For software services, those should have their own user instead, like Syncthing should use "syncthing", and use the "dietpi" group with 002 umask to allow cross software access. For network mounts I'm not yet sure, at least in our implementation it requires a UNIX user + password to login from clients, not sure if an own user like "dietpi-samba" or "samba" is suitable for this? At least a system user without login shell should be possible for this as well.
adsb4fun

Post by adsb4fun »

Thanks for the reply!

Will remove the user since i do not run any of the dietpi-prepared software.