Request for IOT Sensor software Topic is solved

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
greavette

Request for IOT Sensor software

Post by greavette »

Hello,

I've just discovered DietPi and congrats on making an amazing O/S for us to use. this is by far the best Pi O/S I've seen! Great work!

We are beginning to look at using Tart Sensors (https://www.tartssensors.com/libraries/raspberry-pi/) as a solution to managing environmental monitoring from our Pi using these sensors. I'm wondering what the process is to add the tart install bits/libraries to the DietPi install? I'd be willing to help add this if someone could point me to the process or steps to add these to DietPi.

I'm looking at the Tart website at the following for Raspberry Pi - https://www.tartssensors.com/libraries/raspberry-pi/

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Request for IOT Sensor software

Post by Fourdee »

C++, got me interested :D

I'll create a ticket and flag it for v136 milestone (basically means i'll take a look over the next week): https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/587
I'm wondering what the process is to add the tart install bits/libraries to the DietPi install? I'd be willing to help add this if someone could point me to the process or steps to add these to DietPi.
If you know the installation proceedure for tarts, adding it to DietPi-Software should be simple. A guide for adding software to DietPi-Software is here: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -244416570, if you get any issues let me know.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
greavette

Post by greavette »

Wow! Thank you for the quick response. Very much appreciated!

Looking forward to seeing how your investigation goes with adding IOT to DietPi!

I'll look at the link you've provided as well and give it a spin.

Thanks!
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

greavette wrote:Wow! Thank you for the quick response. Very much appreciated!

Looking forward to seeing how your investigation goes with adding IOT to DietPi!

I'll look at the link you've provided as well and give it a spin.

Thanks!
Hi,

Just looking through this now. Debating how we should add this to DietPi. Am I right in thinking this is simply a C++ library?

Probably best to ask you, how do you think we should implement this into DietPi-Software, eg:
- Simply download the library and extract it?
- Compile a few examples from the tarts library?
- Install a GUI IDE for user?

Open to suggestions :)
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
greavette

Post by greavette »

Hello Fourdee,

yes, this is a library software to be installed with examples...but your suggestion to install a GUI IDE is something I've not considered but a great idea!

But...I clearly need to think about this a lot more now that we are diving head first into IOT and the Raspberry Pi. What I'm looking to implement is probably based on openHab as our IOT prototyping software and perhaps using MQTT or python scripting for communication/syncing. Thanks to you showing me the steps on how to add my own dietpi software I'll definitely be tinkering with your amazing project and will share what I have when I'm finished.

I've got too many projects on the go for my Raspberry Pi:
Zabbix Proxy Server
APCUPSD Server
IOT Gateway
Thin Client

The Thin Client is also taking up a lot of my time at the moment. We've been using Raspberry Pi's as thin clients for the past 3.5 years now and it's worked amazingly well. I've just ordered Pi 3's for the office and will be rebuilding a new Thin Client O/S and I think dietpi will be perfect for us to use! I've got a thread opened in your forums on questions regarding setting up thin client software as I run dietpi through the paces. I'll keep you posted on my setup of the Thin Client as well if you are interested.

Thanks!