Desktop issues with headless setup

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
wetromix4

Desktop issues with headless setup

Post by wetromix4 »

Hey all, I got a Raspberry Pi 4 to replace my old PC that was only functioning as a PLEX server. I got DietPi setup and everything I needed installed.

When I initially set everything up, I had a monitor connected. I setup desktop auto-start in dietpi launcher (option 2) with LXDE installed. With the monitor connected everything worked fine. I then disconnected the monitor as I have the Pi tucked away in a corner of the house.

The remote desktop worked fine (using realVNC) while I was still in the current session, however after messing around a bit I rebooted the pi and have since been unable to get LXDE started remotely. I can still get to the command line using PuTTY and everything is up and running except LXDE. I've tried switching startup options (2 & 16) and disabling the monitor ports but I can't seem to get it working.

When I run startx from PuTTY to launch LXDE I get an error about no display being connected, when I try to remote in after reboot I just get a black screen that says nothing can be displayed. I assume there is a way to fix this so whenever I reboot I don't have to connect a monitor to get the desktop running again. I'm a complete noob when it comes to linux, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Joulinar

Re: Desktop issues with headless setup

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

many thanks for your message. Am I right, you try to access you system using RealVNC without monitor connected. Correct?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team