Pi 4 not booting

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
Deleted User 7758

Pi 4 not booting

Post by Deleted User 7758 »

I installed Logitech Music Server onto my Pi 4 tonight and during reboot it stalled - it does this when I try to reboot with the Dragonfly Black DAC connected. I forgot to pull the DAC before rebooting.
Now I can't get it to boot at all. I'm running DietPi (Debian buster) and have moved the root file system to the attached USB 3 external hard drive.
What should my troubleshooting steps be?
Joulinar

Re: Pi 4 not booting

Post by Joulinar »

Connect a screen to see what error messages it give
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Deleted User 7758

There is a screen connected and it shows nothing.
There is a little activity on the green led after connecting power but then nothing.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

there is a Sticky at raspberrypi.org giving an indication on what could happen.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=58151

As well some LED warning flash codes
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 1#p1485558
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Deleted User 7758

With no card inserted I get 4 green led blinks in a repeating sequence. This means my eprom is ok but the bootloader is not working correctly.
There are instructions to try to repair it.
Before I follow those is it an option to upgrade the firmware now that 2020-06-15 EEPROM is regarded as stable? Can I do that and boot from my HDD without changing the data on the HDD?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

First I would try to fix the issue with the system before changing other thinks. Usually EEPROM will be updated automatically if needed.

Btw: 4 times blinking is indicating that your bootloader is working correctly.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md
Is the bootloader working correctly?
To check that the bootloader is working correctly, turn off the power, unplug everything from the Raspberry Pi 4, including the SD card, and then turn the power back on. If the green LED blinks with a repeating pattern then the bootloader is running correctly, and indicating that start*.elf has not been found. Any other actions imply that the bootloader is not working correctly and should be reinstalled using recovery.bin.
LED warning flash codes

Code: Select all

Long flashes	Short flashes	Status
0		4		start*.elf not found
Do you have a spare SD card to test?
Deleted User 7758

Hi,
I have another SD card but what should be on it? A fresh copy of the DietPi image?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

yes
Deleted User 7758

So I tried it with a fresh DietPi image and still it would not boot.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

hmm this doesn't sound promising. Can you try with a plain Raspbian Lite if this is booting?