Logs not being persisted hourly with DietPi-Ramlog #2

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
drool

Logs not being persisted hourly with DietPi-Ramlog #2

Post by drool »

Hello all,

I have setup logging system to: "DietPi-Ramlog #2 : Hourly save, then clear." and this option has kept the logs in RAMdisk for an hour and then appended logs hourly to /root/logfile_storage in the past. But today I witnessed that the hourly appending has stopped and that the log file is just kept at /var/log/my_custom_logfile.log. I diff-ed files at /root/logfile_storage to see if logs are getting hourly appended but there has been no change at all. The log files at RAMdisk at /var/log/* keep getting larger. I rechecked that logging system is still set to "DietPi-Ramlog #2 : Hourly save, then clear." and even switch to "DietPi-Ramlog #1" and back to #2, but that didn't fix my issue.

Can someone help why is the hourly persistence/appending logs not working as intended.
Joulinar

Re: Logs not being persisted hourly with DietPi-Ramlog #2

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

many thanks for your request. I tried to replicate your issue, but without success. I created a dummy.log file and after a hour it was successfully transferred and shrieked. So in general the process is working fine.

Code: Select all

root@DietPi3:~# cd /var/log/
root@DietPi3:/var/log# ls -l
total 8
-rw-rw---- 1 root utmp   0 May 31 14:21 btmp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   0 May 31 18:17 dummy.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root utmp 292 May 31 21:47 lastlog
drwx------ 2 root root  40 May 31 02:17 private
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root utmp 384 May 31 21:47 wtmp
root@DietPi3:/var/log# cd /root/logfile_storage
root@DietPi3:~/logfile_storage# ls -la
total 24
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 31 18:17 .
drwx------ 6 root root 4096 May 31 00:17 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   20 May 31 18:17 dummy.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1168 May 31 18:17 lastlog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7680 May 31 18:17 wtmp
root@DietPi3:~/logfile_storage#
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
drool

Post by drool »

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

This is what I am confused about as well. This functionality was working fine for me as well some time back but it has stopped functioning for me now. Is there a way I can pull logs on how logs are rotated? Can you share the script which is runs hourly to move logs from RAMDisk to persistent storage?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

best to my knowledge there is not log from the script itself. The following script is used to move logs to backup location /boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-logclear

As well you could have it executed manually using following options

#////////////////////////////////////
        # Info:
        # - Location: /boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-logclear
        # - Clears logs in $FP_LOG, with backup option.
        #
        # usage:
        # - dietpi-logclear 0           | Update current log files data to "$FP_BACKUP/*. Then clear contents.
        # - dietpi-logclear 1           | Clear contents of all logs in $FP_LOG.
        # - dietpi-logclear 2           | Delete all logs in $FP_LOG and backups.
        #////////////////////////////////////
The script themselves is triggered by /etc/cron.hourly/dietpi and it depends on correct setting in /boot/dietpi/.installed. In your case it should looks like this:

# DietPi Choice System: Logging
INDEX_LOGGING_CURRENT=-2
INDEX_LOGGING_TARGET=-2
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team