Boot error : Invalid user: 'dnsmasq:nogroup'

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
MickySingh

Boot error : Invalid user: 'dnsmasq:nogroup'

Post by MickySingh »

Hi Dan,

Am current with the updates and am on 89using PiHole on DietPi.

Noticed this morning that there is an error displayed while starting dnsmasq during boot -- ....'dnsmasqchown: Invalid user: 'dnsmasq:nogroup'. Doing 'useradd -G nogroup dnsmasq' followed by a reboot, the error was no longer displayed. Hope it doesn't create other issues.

Thanks,
Micky
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Boot error : Invalid user: 'dnsmasq:nogroup'

Post by Fourdee »

MickySingh wrote:Hi Dan,

Am current with the updates and am on 89using PiHole on DietPi.

Noticed this morning that there is an error displayed while starting dnsmasq during boot -- ....'dnsmasqchown: Invalid user: 'dnsmasq:nogroup'. Doing 'useradd -G nogroup dnsmasq' followed by a reboot, the error was no longer displayed. Hope it doesn't create other issues.

Thanks,
Micky
Hi Micky,

Many thanks for the report.
We changed the dnsmasq user to www-data a few patches back. Not sure why you received this error, so I will need to look into it.

Could you please paste the results of this command:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/init.d/dnsmasq | grep 'DNSMASQ_USER='
Also, can you remember which version of DietPi you were using when you installed Pi-hole?

Kind Regards,
Dan
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
MickySingh

Post by MickySingh »

Apologies for the delay.

I had installed PiHole using the Pihole image. The result of grep is DNSMASQ_USER="www-data"

The install is current with the updates and is on 90.

Thanks,
Micky
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

MickySingh wrote:Apologies for the delay.

I had installed PiHole using the Pihole image. The result of grep is DNSMASQ_USER="www-data"

The install is current with the updates and is on 90.

Thanks,
Micky
Hi Micky,

Thanks for getting back to me.
This error has been resolved in DietPi v91 (should be released later this week).

As you can see by your grep result, dnsmasq is told to use the www-data user, however, it still reports an error if dnsmasq user doesnt exist. Looks like a bug in dnsmasq where it always checks for dnsmasq user, regardless of what user has been defined.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.