RootFS is currently Read Only (R/O) mounted. Aborting... Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
D_a_n

RootFS is currently Read Only (R/O) mounted. Aborting...

Post by D_a_n »

When attempting to execute dietpi-config, I get the error

Code: Select all

RootFS is currently Read Only (R/O) mounted. Aborting...
It says to run dietpi-drive_manager to re-enable. However, I'm unsure what to do after I enter the drive manager.

What is causing this error, it has happened to me multiple times and I just end up flashing a new image to reinstall. But this time is occured pretty much straight after installing. The only things I have done is:
[*]Install OpenVPN
[*]Install qBittorent
[*]Install ProFTP
[*]Set a static IP and change DNS servers

Thanks, I'm very new to all this so sorry if this is an obvious question.
Joulinar

Re: RootFS is currently Read Only (R/O) mounted. Aborting...

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

many thanks for your report. What do you mean by "it has happened to me multiple times"?? How often this happen in the past? Usually this should not happen at all! Do you have a different SD card that can be used?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
JuniorChange

Post by JuniorChange »

Hey,

I am having the same problem just updated my Pi 4 Model B (armv71) to Dietpi v6.29.2 Latest version. I only have a 32GB micro-SD card in it. All storage goes to my NFS mounted NAS.

Installed Sonarr, Deluge, Nzbget changed to static IP and installed open vpn client.

Pi worked fine until Nzbget stopped downloading after about an hour. So I rebooted.

Now I get:
RootFS is currently Read Only (R/O) mounted. Aborting
DietPi requires RootFS to be Read/Write (R/W) mounted. Please run "dietpi-drive_manager" to re-enable.
When I try and run most of the diet-_____ commands. And none of my Softwares are running anymore

I retried the install 3 times and ran into the same error.

When I run dietpi-drive_manager it notices all my mounted drives but i get
cp: cannot create regular file '/etc/fstab': Read-only file system
at the end.

in the dietpi-drive_manager it says
Please select a drive to see available options.
- User data location: RootFS (/mnt/dietpi_userdata)

When I choose the /boot option and select Transfer RootFS
It says [WARNING] Partition must be unmounted, before format and RootFS transfer can begin.
Please unmount the partition, then try again.

I don't know how to fix this, only started happening after the update any help would be appreciated.
Nzchuck

Post by Nzchuck »

I have exactly the same problem after upgrading to 6.29.2.

Any ideas?
JuniorChange

Post by JuniorChange »

I don't know personally tried looking it up all night. Hopefully a moderator sees this thread. I also posted an issue on the github page

https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issu ... -613035055
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi Guys,

let's use the discussion on GitHub to avoid to many open parallel streams.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
D_a_n

Post by D_a_n »

Joulinar wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:41 am Hi,

many thanks for your report. What do you mean by "it has happened to me multiple times"?? How often this happen in the past? Usually this should not happen at all! Do you have a different SD card that can be used?
It's happened 3 times now. I've had to reinstall DietPi each time.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

pls follow the GitHub post https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3511

I provided a possible workaround. But would be good if it can be verified. Issue seems to be using drive manager
stephen6

Post by stephen6 »

Yes, same issue here too. I rebooted the Pi last night and noticed PiHole wasn't working. Being a noobie, I tried to restore from backup thinking I had done something wrong but got this:

https://imgur.com/a/ATmDZxw#XAeLywg
mamton

Post by mamton »

I am having the same issue. I have tried setting up from scratch and end up with the same failure. Dietpi is now completely unstable on a Raspberry Pi from what I can see. I started from scratch because I figured it was my original build that was causing the problem. It had been running for 1 1/2 years with out an issue till the upgrade.

I have tried 3 separate Raspberry Pi's (3Bs) that I have laying around with 4 separate SD cards of different manufacturers and sizes (8gb/16gb/32, ScanDisk Ultra/Toshiba Exceria/Toshiba). Some last less than an hour before they get this fault, longest lasted less than 24hours.

I'm not installing anything crazy. Strickly using the dietpi-launcher to install Sonarr/Radarr/NZBGet and mounting a drive from another SBC that is running dietpi (luckily an ASUS TBS). Thats all.

It continually locks down with "rootFS is currently Read Only (R/O)"

Can't access dietpi-config or anything. Tries 7 times not.