Roon Server database destroyed on each update

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
AlfaGTV

Roon Server database destroyed on each update

Post by AlfaGTV »

With the x86 DietPi image, you have the option to install and use Roon Server, from the optimized software menu.
This works just fine, and i use it with pleasure on my ASRock J-4105-ATX barebone.
However, on each update of the Roon software, the database is completely lost and i have to restore my backups to resume function. Can this, please, be fixed? Or can i do something about it to prevent it?

atb Mike
Joulinar

Re: Roon Server database destroyed on each update

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

many thanks for your report. Just one little question for my understanding: How do you update your Roon Server? What method you are using?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
AlfaGTV

Post by AlfaGTV »

Roon contain its own update engine, so when a new release is made available, the Control unit pops up a notification. If one accepts this, the procedure is automatic and interventionless (normally).
So, when you connect to it after the update it is completely empty, with no settings, prefs or anything left of the media database.

Thanks for your quick response!
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

well the Roon Software itself is out of DietPi scope. It's an own product. So if there is something wrong with Roon Update process, it might be better to contact Roon guys.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
AlfaGTV

Post by AlfaGTV »

Thats not the case, the Roon update engine works flawlessly in all operating systems, MacOs, Win and Linux.
Whether you do a manual install or run the easy install scripts. Something differs in the DietPi install or the general behaviour of the distro.
And i'm really not in the mood for a discussion of who's to blame... ;)

All i'm saying is, the "Optimized software" Roon Server in DietPi x86 is flawed, as it corrupts it's database when the application performs maintenance. Which it is designed to do, regularly.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

As I said, Roon software is downloaded directly from Roon side and put in place. There is nothing DietPi specific on this. Even DietPi is not changing anything on the Roon software. Means, as well the update function is done/provided by Roon software.

Code: Select all

Download_Install 'https://download.roonlabs.com/builds/RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2' $G_FP_DIETPI_USERDATA
mv $G_FP_DIETPI_USERDATA/RoonServer $G_FP_DIETPI_USERDATA/roonserver
Next to that DietPi is not an own operation system or destro. DietPi is a set on scripts on top of a normal Debian. As well a comparison between Win, Mac and Linux doesn't really fit. These are totally different OS system, platforms. Even between Linux bases systems you will have quite some differences.
Aldoszx

Post by Aldoszx »

I have the same problem.
Indeed DietPi is based on Debian but there are some differences.
Roon server installation script is modified and Roon is installed in another directory than normal linux installation.
To be more specific, default Roon installation uses 'opt' as installation folder, and on DietPi Roon is installed under mnt/dietpi_userdata
Maybe this is a possible problem with Roon updates?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

installation script is modified
Not sure what you mean by this. I had a look to the dietpi-software script and as far as I can see, the only thing done is to have software archive extracted to /mnt/dietpi_userdata. Doesn't looks like there is any install script executed at all.

As well I had a look to the Roon Install Guide located at https://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall
There is no strong requirement for /opt/ directory as software location. Even it points to a possibility to customize $ROON_DATAROOT location. And this is done on the Roon Server service

Code: Select all

/etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service
Environment=ROON_DATAROOT=$G_FP_DIETPI_USERDATA/roonserver
ExecStart=$G_FP_DIETPI_USERDATA/roonserver/start.sh
Aldoszx

Post by Aldoszx »

I think you are right, but I don't know if the automated update process does not preserve the database.
Maybe it is something that we miss here.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

that's why it would be good to get in touch with Roon guys to understand what their update process is doing and what could be a reason for loosing the configs during update process.