Need help with PC installation

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Gatman

Need help with PC installation

Post by Gatman »

Hi Folks,

Been using DietPi on a few Raspberry Pi's, and decided to give it a spin on a very old Dell Dimension e-521 today. I've had a few Linux distributions on here, and over the last couple years I've had to set a flag for "noapic" and "nolapic" to boot the kernel without an error message.

I just used Balena Etcher to burn the image to the hard drive, and when attempting my first boot, I got the dreaded APIC error. Can someone tell me how to set those kernel boot options on DietPi? I've been installing other distros from Live CDs, and with those I can get an option before boot/install where I can set those. Alternatively, with GRUB I'd hit the left shift key at boot and I can pick my kernel and options to get booted, then I go in and update grub.conf to set those and I'm good to go.

Any help would be appreciated. Would love to see how this old beast flies with DietPi installed!

Thanks,

Gary
Joulinar

Re: Need help with PC installation

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

probably you can have a look to this post

https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/wiki ... %28BIOS%29
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

I'm on the same boat, an old PC which I prefer to have dietpi running as my other media server, but hit by the noapic kernel panic.
Instead of having to create an specific image for first boot, isn't there any way to intercept the boot process and insert the parameter as in grub2 -mini boot editor-?
Thx!
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

did you tried following the link above?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Joulinar wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:45 pm did you tried following the link above?
Yes, but I couldn't do much as the mini.iso didn't past the initial screen, something happens on video detection that put the screen in blank state. I need to check further as the only image I was able to boot was Kali live, so time to go thru dmesg and see what choice did it take to be able to boot to a working state.
Thanks anyways!
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

yep at least a running Debian would be needed to be able to get DietPi on top