ProFTP kiling DietPi

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
keithellis

ProFTP kiling DietPi

Post by keithellis »

Hi there,

I am having real trouble with DietPi at the moment. I am trying to install the following on a Raspberry Pi 3:

NextCloud
WiringPi
RPiMonitorg
Fail2Ban
ProFTP

NginX default web server

In the last few weeks I have had 5 clean images become non-bootable. My latest try I had al the able installed with the exception of ProFTP and it had been up and running for a week and a half.

Tonight I installed ProFTP, the installation went fine and rebooted. When I went to ssh back in, it kept saying my password was incorrect. (it was not.) I waited 30 minutes in case Fail2Ban had kicked in, but still no luck. I pulled the plug and restarted the Pi, now it no longer boots. the red power light keeps going off anfter about 5 seconds. it appears to get stuck in a continual reboot loop.

I really want to use DietPi since it is the easiest way to get NextCloud on a Pi, but these issues are really getting annoying now.

Any idea on what the issue might be?
Regards,
Keith
keithellis

Re: ProFTP kiling DietPi

Post by keithellis »

Ok, I left the Pi off for a while and have managed to log back in. NextCloud and another website have broken. I fixed my own one by reapplying rot permissions to a couple of files. What are the default permissions for NextCloud please. i think I need to reset them.

Don't know why ProFTP would interfear with these permissions. Does the dietPi-software try and reset web permissions?

Regards,
Keith
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Are you sure your power supply (and cable if using a phone charger) are up to the job? The Pi3 need a decent power supply and file system corruption can occur if it is inadequate. And have you eliminated the SD card as a possible source of the problem?

John
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Hi Keith,

Sounds like a few different possible issues.
In the last few weeks I have had 5 clean images become non-bootable.
I believe John may be onto something here. Unstable/insufficient PSU will cause filesystem corruptions to occur.
Tonight I installed ProFTP, the installation went fine and rebooted. When I went to ssh back in, it kept saying my password was incorrect.
I was unable to replicate any issues you experienced in my tests so far.

We'll need some more information, if you can answer the following questions, i'd be grateful:
- Did you install proftp through dietpi-software or manually via command line?
- Which SSH client are you running (eg: putty)?
- Are you running Dropbear or OpenSSH server on DietPi (you can check by running dietpi-software and looking at the SSH server choice thats active)
- When the failed SSH login occurred, where you able to log into the system locally (eg: keyboard+mouse)?
I pulled the plug and restarted the Pi, now it no longer boots.
Doing this may physically damage the SDcard beyond repair. Its most likely now corrupted, a slow format is recommended (writes/resets/refreshes all cells on the card) if you plan to use this card again.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
keithellis

Post by keithellis »

johnvick wrote:Are you sure your power supply (and cable if using a phone charger) are up to the job?
Thanks John, I thought it was ok, but upon checking it was only a 1.5A supply. I've replaced with a 2A supply and will start from scratch.
Regards,
Keith.
keithellis

Post by keithellis »

Fourdee wrote: I believe John may be onto something here. Unstable/insufficient PSU will cause filesystem corruptions to occur.
Yes I was using a 1.5A supply i have replaced with a 2A supply and will try again from scratch.

We'll need some more information, if you can answer the following questions, i'd be grateful:
- Did you install proftp through dietpi-software or manually via command line?
I installed through dietpi-software
- Which SSH client are you running (eg: putty)?
OpenSSH_7.2p2 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.1, OpenSSL 1.0.2g 1 Mar 2016
- Are you running Dropbear or OpenSSH server on DietPi (you can check by running dietpi-software and looking at the SSH server choice thats active)
Dropbear
- When the failed SSH login occurred, where you able to log into the system locally (eg: keyboard+mouse)?
Nope, running headless

I pulled the plug and restarted the Pi, now it no longer boots.
Doing this may physically damage the SDcard beyond repair. Its most likely now corrupted, a slow format is recommended (writes/resets/refreshes all cells on the card) if you plan to use this card again.
I'm trying again from scratch with a 2A power supply and a new SD Card.
Thanks for you help.
Regards,
Keith
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

I'm trying again from scratch with a 2A power supply and a new SD Card.
Thanks for you help.
Regards,
Keith
Thanks for the info Keith.

Please let us know results when you can :)
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
keithellis

Post by keithellis »

Fourdee wrote: Please let us know results when you can :)
Yes it is all much more stable now, thanks for your help.