Cannot get WiFi to work, RPi3B+ Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
Joulinar

Re: Cannot get WiFi to work, RPi3B+

Post by Joulinar »

yes, having a valid network connection is a prerequisite otherwise first boot will fail. In a case like yours, it recommended to use pre-config files to establish network/wifi connection during first boot and to be able to download latest version/updates.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Okay, so generally, when WiFi is required, it is indeed recommended to enable + pre-configure WiFi credentials etc via dietpi.txt + dietpi-wifi.txt before first boot, so the whole firstrun setup can be done as intended.
Else indeed connection test will fail, but it should allow you to enter dietpi-config from the error handler, where you should be able to enable WiFi, enter credentials and establish network connectivity by this, then exit dietpi-config which should allow to you continue firstrun setup. However the dialog could be difficult to read on your little screen, especially if resolution is not set too great. Damn thing that the RPi does not auto-configure HDMI for 480x320 nicely it seems :(.
Else you can also exit firstrun setup (as you did), then manually call dietpi-config to enable WiFi. You can then either run /DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-login manually to redo firstrun setup, or logout/exit+login, or reboot to bring you there.

...I just checked the code. Actually if WiFi was not enabled before first boot (via dietpi.txt), then WiFi modules are disabled and as well the internal WiFi via device tree overlay to free resources. This means a reboot is required in every case after you enabled internal WiFi via dietpi-config.

What I find still strange is the missing rfkill install candidate error, as this is installed on the fresh image and hence the install should not re-attempted. When one interactively disables WiFi via dietpi-config, one is asked whether to remove or keep related APT packages. But during first boot, this is done non-interactively, hence all packages are left in place. I'll do a test install to verify that.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

I removed the session loading of dtoverlays: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/comm ... b01a1c6441
This causes some other issues, result might be not what we want anyway. Once a new image is done, this means that one can enable WiFi right from the connection test error prompt during firstrun setup, selecting the dietpi-config entry. At a later release it is planned anyway to add some more solutions right into the error prompt, e.g. enable/disable WiFi, reload all connections, enable/disable IPv6, and some other stuff. The infrastructure to implement this easily has been added just recently.