How do I secure my wifi? Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Kala_bacha

How do I secure my wifi?

Post by Kala_bacha »

This is my first post here. Recently, My friends and I went through this horrible time period where a guy from our workplace hack our wifi and ultimately hack into our conversations and credentials. After this dilemma, I am very much curious about my wifi security. The problem is that with my increased daily workload I can't research the solutions. All I want is a basic checklist to check every time and it would be more good If I can have a solution as a product. Which can secure my connection once and for all whether I am at home or not? Do you guys have any idea about this?
Joulinar

Re: How do I secure my wifi?

Post by Joulinar »

Probably this is something for you

https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/home-w ... -security/

There are plenty of guides on the web.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: How do I secure my wifi?

Post by MichaIng »

A very strong password that is not written down anywhere publicly reachable is of course the most important step. Checking the first 100 passwords that any brute force bot or software will test probably helps:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _passwords
Probably the router has some brute force protection to block clients for a certain time that fail to login with wrong password for a certain amount.

All clients that store it to auto connect on boot, must be up to date, so there is no way to e.g. read out the WiFi password by hacking the OS WiFi software.

The router firmware must be up to date with at least WPA2. And a firewall (usually NAT which only allows/forwards specific incoming ports) and things like UPnP or public router login methods must be disabled, so the router itself is only accessible from local network and at best no incoming connections are allowed.

If incoming connections are required, e.g. webserver and such, the related software must stay up to date.

It is really most important to keep things updated, so there are no known security vulnerabilities. And do not write or type the WiFi (or any other access password) on any public place.

Pretty common things, but probably it helps.