(resolved) DietPi-Ramlog custom logfiles

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Aidan Hedley

(resolved) DietPi-Ramlog custom logfiles

Post by Aidan Hedley »

Bit of a newbie one from me..

I plan to use packages such as iperf, and save results as logfiles. Also some python scripts generating own event lopgs. Is there anything - such as a particular file location I need to use? - My DietPi system logs go to Ramdisk and are backed up hourly. I don't expect to loose logs as the system is battery supported with a graceful 'shutdown -h' on extended power failure.

Hope that makes sense.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Ramdisk logfile questions

Post by Fourdee »

Aidan Hedley wrote:Bit of a newbie one from me..

I plan to use packages such as iperf, and save results as logfiles. Also some python scripts generating own event lopgs. Is there anything - such as a particular file location I need to use? - My DietPi system logs go to Ramdisk and are backed up hourly. I don't expect to loose logs as the system is battery supported with a graceful 'shutdown -h' on extended power failure.

Hope that makes sense.
Hi Aidan,

If you want to allow DietPi-Ramlog to backup and clear your extra logfiles:
- Make sure your using DietPi-Ramlog Mode #2
- Then point your custom log files into /var/log. eg (/var/log/mylogfile.log).

If on the other hand you want to keep the contents of your extra log files untouched, for testing, or any other purpose:
- Change the location of your custom logfiles so they are not inside the /var/log folder. (eg: /root/mylogfiletests.log)

Kind Regards,
Dan
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.