"Simple"? ISC DHCP set-up using POE switch for cctv cameras Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
qxotic

"Simple"? ISC DHCP set-up using POE switch for cctv cameras

Post by qxotic »

I want to use a headless setup to connect to and record from cameras through a POE switch only.. no router.

Can an ISC DHCP installation be used for this? (Or is there a better way?) I am unclear on how it can be made to work in this scenario. Beginning questions.. if it can be done..

1. How to ssh into the SBC when trying to connect to it through the switch.. will it have the x.x.x.1 address already assigned to itself?

How to deal with DNS settings since this will not be connected to the internet?

What is the longest I can/should set a lease time for, for the cameras?

All the tutorials and youtube videos I have found so far seem to deal with computers still connected to a router and the internet. Are there any good examples of something similar to my setup?

Thank you
Joulinar

Re: "Simple"? ISC DHCP set-up using POE switch for cctv cameras

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

not sure if I fully understand you question.
  • You like to have a SBC, Switch and Camera connect? Correct?
  • You would like to have DHCP running on your SBC. Correct?
  • There is no further internet/router connection. Correct?
So first you would need to set a STATIC IP address and your SBC. This way you can SSH into your SBC by using the STATIC IP.
As DHCP server you could use ISC-DHCP-Server or DNSMASQ. I personally would recommend DNSMASQ as it's not that heavy as ISC-DHCP-Server. Lease-Time can be set to 24h. It doesn't really matter.
Last but not least, no need to take care on DNS. Because without internet connection, your DNS query's will not be answered anyway.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
qxotic

Post by qxotic »

Yes, you understood correctly.

The SBC will either be a Pi 4 or and Odroid HC1.

I will do some research on the DNSMASQ before asking any further questions

Thank you.
qxotic

Post by qxotic »

I'm still a little unclear of the process.

Do you have to give an enable command for the dnsmasq to automatically start when the SBC boots and is connected only to the switch? To be able to ssh into the SBC when it is only connected to a switch... would both it and a laptop (temporarily connected to ssh into the SBC) have to already be setup as as static by the MAC ID? From that point I understand how to find and add cameras.

My confusion.. if not clear by the question... is I know when the SBC boots only connected to the switch, it will have to assign the ip's for it and the laptop to be able to communicate to finish any setup. What has to be done to be sure the dnsmasq will automatically do its thing when there is no longer a router involved?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

I guess there is quite some misunderstanding.

dnsmasq will operate as DHCP server as soon as you start dnsmasq process on your SBC. To start dnsmasq during boot, you would need to enable the dnsmasq service. As soon as dnsmasq was started, it will go to assign IP address to every client who ask for an IP, like your laptop if it get connected to the switch (Ethernet). So it's not recommended to operate dnsmasq within the same network like your internet router. Otherwise both will go to assign IP's. Next to that you could use a diffident IP range on your SBC running dnsmasq than you have on your router.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
qxotic

Post by qxotic »

After playing with this for a while, I had dnsmasq up and running, then it donned on me that I was able to go into all 3 different type of POE cameras I had and assign their ip statically. (I also assigned the dietpi static) This should eliminate the need to run dnsmasq. So far in my testing it is working fine. I can disconnect the POE switch from my network.. have it only connected to the Odroid and the cameras and it is working fine at this stage in my testing. I did have one camera at one point lose it's information and therefore the camera was not found. I used a laptop and angyip scanner to find what it had changed to, brought it up in a browser and edited it back to what I had assigned and it showed back up in motioneye. Next stage of testing it to let it run overnight some during the week... also want to get the sata set up for storing the videos (had a delay due to a bad Odroid HC1 whose sata port was bad) I will post if there are any complications that need mentioning.