External HDD Issues

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
baz123

Re: External HDD Issues

Post by baz123 »

ristokoo wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:03 pm
Joulinar wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:12 pm I just did a quick google search and found this sticky at Raspberrypi board.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=245931
Yep exactly that one. baz123 also referred to that post earlier but I guess it didn't help in his case. Just wanted to say it solved my problem with a SATA SSD and a USB 3 adapter. I also had better success with Raspbian but I really really want to use DietPi :D
As you say, I did find it and try it. Didn't help with DietPi at all. I don't think I used it on Raspbian - the SSD just worked although I have had one instance where that install failed, but generally seems very stable.
ristokoo

Post by ristokoo »

More testing with some interesting results. I tried the usb-storage trick with my second Pi 4 and a different USB 3 adapter. Again, everything seemed to be fine. Until I tried to connect to wifi hotspot which didn't work.

It took me a while but I think I finally found out what was going on. My finding: when the SSD is plugged in a USB 3 port - no wifi hotspot. Plugged in a USB 2 port - everything ok, including wifi hotspot.

So it's back to USB 2 speeds for me because I like to run wifi hotspot with Pi-Hole. But the USB (3) adapter works anyway.

So in this case, using the SSD with a USB 3 port seems to leave Pi4's wifi adapter underpowered. I suppose a powered USB hub would solve the problem.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

in general it's recommended to use external power supply for your external HDD/SSD
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
peddanet

Post by peddanet »

Hi,

I had some similar issues if I the power is switched on. my external hard drive is not mounted to RASPBERRY PI 4B if, cause maybe the mounting happens before the drive is ready after power up. Anybody a tipp how to slow down the booting process :-).

Does anybody has already a solution for mounting later in the boot sequence or with a delay? Maybe with a logging and messaging of the progress? Somewhere in the rc scripts?

Does anybody face this issue with an external mechanical Hard drive already when powering up in parallel? It is a Red Western Digital 4GB with external power supply..

Thanks!

BR Peter
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

within /etc/fstab you could set a value (x-systemd.automount) to mount the drive not during boot but just in case needed. Means it will be mounted as soon as an application tries to access.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team