Wireguard - No internet access with PiHole Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
uwjhn

Re: Wireguard - No internet access with PiHole

Post by uwjhn »

Joulinar wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:38 am Hi,

yep it's actually a behavior of PiHole. I fixed it for myself by changing PiHole DNS Settings to > Listen on all interfaces, permit all origins
This doesn't do the trick for. Still no internet access via VPN (Wireguard). Using a Raspberry Pi 4B, dietpi, pi-hole, ... all installed with dietpi-software UI. Ip forwarding is on (not changed by me)
Any other tips?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

can you check using wg command if VPN connection was established
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
uwjhn

Post by uwjhn »

Can't check it now, but the connection must be established, as I was able to SSH to the Pi.
Today I also needed to set back pi-hole settings to "Listen only on interface eth0", as I had connection issues in my network and pi-hole didn't seem to block anything with Listen on all interfaces, permit all origins"
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Listen on all interfaces, permit all origin is needed, otherwise PiHole will not react on request coming from VPN interface.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
diggidre

Post by diggidre »

Same problem here. Must exist since latest updates, a couple of weeks ago with another setup it was working out of the box.
With active Wireguard connection I can reach the Pi itself but hothing behind, the traffic won't get routed past it.
You will have to set to listening only on eth0 or whatever your interface name is in PiHole settings. For now after PiHole installation it's set to only allow traffic that is 1 Hop away not further.
On top I did pivpn -d for debug mode and then during the test it asks you to activate IP forwarding.
Really this was driving me nuts the last couple days but finally it's working again with PiHole in combination with Wireguard :)
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Yes if you are using PiVPN, you would need to set IP forwarding manually. This would not be needed if you install WireGuard directly from DietPi Software Catalog.