QUEST: DietPi with HotSpot and Captive Portal / DNS redirect

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Joulinar

QUEST: DietPi with HotSpot and Captive Portal / DNS redirect

Post by Joulinar »

Hi All,

I have a question how to setup something like a Captive Portal on DietPi. ;)

My aim is to have an open HotSpot and every user who connect to the HotSpot, should be redirected to a static website (on the RPi)

What I have done so far, is to install the HotSpot from DietPi Software catalog. This was working quite fine and I was able to use the DietPi HotSpot. No issues on that. Next step would be to setup some kind of Captive Portal or DNS redirection to a website hosted on the RPi it selves. And that's where I stuck now. I tried using the following guide, but somehow it was not working.

https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-captive-portal/

I'm still able to connect to the HotSpot but than I did not get redirected to my Captive Portal website. Seems my mobile clients are not recognizing that there is something like a Captive Portal available. Therefore my question would be, if someone has an idea or guide that can be used :)

Many thanks in advance
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
tallbastard

Re: QUEST: DietPi with HotSpot and Captive Portal / DNS redirect

Post by tallbastard »

I think it's Nodogsplash that features in that article and yes this would be a great addition to the DietPi software selection. I tried installing as instructed but am not seeing the redirect to splash page, expect have missed a configuration element.

What's the process for including new software?
thanks
Joulinar

Re: QUEST: DietPi with HotSpot and Captive Portal / DNS redirect

Post by Joulinar »

well there is no real process as DietPi is maintained by a single person only. There is quite a lot of work and not everything can be done at some time. But you can could create FeatHub entry and if there are enough votes, it might get implemented ;) .

viewtopic.php?p=16584#p16584
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team