Kodi with hardware acceleration on RockPro64

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
xlx

Post by xlx » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Hello there,

I'm about to receive my RockPro64 and I've already been searching for the best SO options for it. I'd like it to be both a Linux server (so that I can run a couple of services like OwnCloud, a torrent server, Radarr, Sonarr, etc) and also boot it as a Kodi media center so that I could control it using the TV remote (mostly to play my local network videos as well as stream a couple of Plex shares from friends).

Given that context DietPi looks fantastic from the point of view of a robust headless server, but I'm a little worried because I'm not sure whether its Kodi has hardware acceleration support to the RockPro64 or not. I mean, if I install and configure DietPi to directly boot on Kodi will it be as much optimized on the RP64 as, for example, the Libreelec (which as I read on the forums has a well tuned hardware acceleration and supports smooth 4k60 playback)?

I'd appreciate any help or at least some pointing in the right direction.

Thanks and congratulations on the nice work you've been doing with DietPi.

melaniestaines

Re: Kodi with hardware acceleration on RockPro64

Post by melaniestaines » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:36 am

I have seen people do it on raspberry pi (emulate x86 and play a windows game) using exagear instead of qemo and it was pretty good, they ran a game with low requirments and got around 20 fps.

xlx

Post by xlx » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks for the response, but are you sure we're talking about the same thing?

What I'd like to do is install a Linux distro that can go directly to into Kodi (an optimized RockPro64 Kodi, which has hardware acceleration as well as all Libreelec optimizations) but at the same time allow me ssh access so that I can administrate it as I normally do with any Linux server (run for example a torrent client, maybe a http server, etc).

melaniestaines

Post by melaniestaines » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:29 am

Yes, i know i didn't talk about the same thing. Just posted a random comment. I am looking into it and post something useful here when i got some.

MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:18 pm

We added experimental RK3399 GPU acceleration with v6.26 (currently beta) via Mali drivers provided by RockChip. The question is now if the defaut Kodi from Debian repo can be configured to use these Mali drivers, since RockChip does not provide a special Kodi build: https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rk-ro ... ages/arm64

Would be great if some could test these drivers with Kodi and also how well desktop applications benefit from them: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3131
After applying beta, simply install or reinstall Kodi: dietpi-software (re)install 31
The drivers are installed together with Xserver.

EmileMof

Post by EmileMof » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Hello everyone.

I would like to reduce my acceleration and jerk to a minimum to get the best quality possible, what are your recommended minimum settings?

Can some one also provide me with the gcode lines for the starting script for acceleration and jerk?

thanks so much

Flexderec

Post by Flexderec » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:18 pm

This is a verified information.