Dietpi with WIFI and samba with eth0

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
fadudba

Dietpi with WIFI and samba with eth0

Post by fadudba » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:13 am

Hi All,

have a question, I have my dietpi running smothly using a wifi card to get access to the internet. But want to use the eth0 port to make a connection to my pc so I can share files though samba with that machine (instead on using wifi for that).

Is anyway to have the machine running on wifi for the rest of the tasks, and reserving the eth0 to samba only so i can share files more quickly with my machine?

thanks in advance.

lekobsmith

Re: Dietpi with WIFI and samba with eth0

Post by lekobsmith » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:24 pm

fadudba wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:13 am
Hi All,

have a question, I have my dietpi running smothly using a wifi card to get access to the internet. But want to use the eth0 port to make a connection to my pc so I can share files though samba with that machine (instead on using wifi for that).

Is anyway to have the machine running on wifi for the rest of the tasks, and reserving the eth0 to samba only so i can share files more quickly with my machine?

thanks in advance.
Hi buddy, the process would be a lengthy one even if there, I would prefer wifi, that would be less of stress.

Regards,
Lekob Smith Tutuapp ShowBox Kodi
Last edited by lekobsmith on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fadudba

Post by fadudba » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:21 pm

lekobsmith wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:24 pm
fadudba wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:13 am
Hi All,

thanks in advance.
Hi buddy, the process would be a lengthy one even if there, I would prefer wifi, that would be less of stress.

Regards,
Lekob Smith
Hi, so there's no easy way to have the system running on wifi and, then reserving eth0 just for samba connections?

thanks again

MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:32 pm

@fadudba
First of all for a direct Ethernet connection without a router/switch between the two peers, you require a cross-cable instead of the regular patch-cable, as far as I remember from old LAN session times ;).

You can try the following:
- Enable WiFi regularly via dietpi-config.
- Enable Ethernet as well, but with static IP that matches the subnet of your PC.
- Edit /etc/network/interfaces and remove the gateway line below the eth0 interface.
- I hope you have currently local console access (instead of SSH)? Then run ifdown eth0; ifdown wlan0; ifup wifi0; ifup eth0
- I hope, when not having a gateway line in the interfaces file, that the default gateway stays at the wlan0 interface.

In unlucky case, a routing table is required to tell the system where to send regular reguests (www access) to. But try the above first.

fadudba

Post by fadudba » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:27 pm

MichaIng wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:32 pm
@fadudba
First of all for a direct Ethernet connection without a router/switch between the two peers, you require a cross-cable instead of the regular patch-cable, as far as I remember from old LAN session times ;).

- Enable Ethernet as well, but with static IP that matches the subnet of your PC.
- Edit /etc/network/interfaces and remove the gateway line below the eth0 interface.
- I hope you have currently local console access (instead of SSH)? Then run ifdown eth0; ifdown wlan0; ifup wifi0; ifup eth0
- I hope, when not having a gateway line in the interfaces file, that the default gateway stays at the wlan0 interface.

In unlucky case, a routing table is required to tell the system where to send regular reguests (www access) to. But try the above first.
Hi MichaIng, thanks for help. will try that!

johnsmith101

Post by johnsmith101 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:57 pm

MichaIng wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:32 pm
@fadudba

hello,

Thank you so much for sharing this helpful information, it helped me alot

Thanks and regards.:)