Full reset system.

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
cocoflan

Full reset system.

Post by cocoflan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:38 pm

Ability to full reset your system to basic install would be nice.

DarrenHill

Re: Full reset system.

Post by DarrenHill » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Just reflash the uSD card?

cocoflan

Post by cocoflan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 pm

No, from in the running system is what would be nice.

ghettopi

Post by ghettopi » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 pm

It's totally unnecessary. Just reflash your SD card like it was suggested. Ability to have the entire system wiped is not a good idea even from a security standpoint. Someone could gain access to your system and wipe everything on it whilst setting it up for their own use (i.e. as part of a botnet).

I'd bet my life they won't add this ever. No one has.

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:48 pm

@cocoflan
You could run the DietPi-PREP script:
bash -c "$(curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Micha ... _DIETPI.sh)"

At least regarding DietPi scripts/configs and APT packages it resets the system somehow. But many manually installed files will stay in place, e.g. things in /opt/ or /usr/local/, all that was installed as source build or generally outside of APT packages.
So at least it would be recommended to uninstall all software via dietpi-software first.

Taking into account that there will always be remains, I agree with @ghettopi that one should simply re-flash the SDcard as a much cleaner approach, if you really want a 100% reset.

cocoflan

Post by cocoflan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:22 am

Script came in handy, did some test with a failing ssd and my users data was on that failing ssd.
but it was an experiment, only for testing, so i could not change the users_data to an other disk and i have a image yes of my system but with your script it was handy to fix it quicker.

Used your script, but did get an D-BUS error, the trick was to delete packages with apt autoremove to fix it, then the installation worked.

I still think a simple secure tool to reset te system would be a nice option, but the script worked fine after some tinkering.

Thx for your solution.