Allo Sparky GPU

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
elevation

Allo Sparky GPU

Post by elevation »

HI All

The download page for the Allo Sparky indicates that GPU features are not currently available. What all would be involved in making them available? Is this something a user can do? Is this something that can be done by the team following a paypal donation?

Thank you
Matt
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: Allo Sparky GPU

Post by MichaIng »

@elevation
As I see, dietpi-software allows to install X11 and desktops on Sparky SBC as well. But I also see that there is no special firmware repository available that on other SBCs provide GPU acceleration packages and such. And their kernel/firmware development is not very active. However https://www.allo.com/sparky/sparky-sbc.html states that is can be used as smart TV and game console, so in theory it should work :?.

I think this is something where @Fourdee can tell more about, otherwise I would just give it a try and install a desktop. If it does not work OOTB, perhaps X.org logs can help to identify the issue. Sadly I cannot find much information on our GitHub page either about this topic, it was before my time when DietPi images for Sparky SBC images were created initially.
elevation

Post by elevation »

MichaIng

Thanks for the reply. I do have a desktop (lxde, I believe) running. The resolution is weird, it doesn't seem to conform to the resolution of the monitor it's attached to, nor is it changeable. The Sparky doesn't seem to be a particularly popular option so I'm not surprised their kernel/firmware development isn't very active.

I'm not experiencing any problems but curious about the footnote.

Thanks again
Matt
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Yeah okay GPU support definitely means GPU acceleration/OpenGL support.

The Sparky SBC has a PowerVR SGX544 GPU. There seem to be work done to create a reverse-engineered driver around the Linux community/FSF etc, but has not finished yet. And since this GPU is quite old already (released 2010) I guess priority has been shifted to newer ones.

Implementation of the drivers so far seem to be depending on the SBC manufacturer, and I could not find any hint that Allo provides those somewhere for Sparky SBC. I am currently downloading the official Debian image for Roseapple Pi which has the same GPU to have a look it drivers are implemented there, a firmware repo or such. But I guess even if, this would work on Roseapple Pi only then and would required rework for other SBCs.
EDIT: Nope the Roseapple Pi image only contains generic Debian driver packages, even for intel and amd GPUs... lol what an unnecessary overhead...
elevation

Post by elevation »

I appreciate you looking into it. Sounds like it's not going to happen and that's ok. I have no real need for additional GPU support. More of a curiosity.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

@elevation
There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf, is it?
Perhaps it is possible to adjust resolution and/or overscan by this, I will see if I can have a look.

Ah or for the desktop actually lxrandr should work: apt install lxrandr
Should create some application shortcut in panel and/or on desktop.
elevation

Post by elevation »

no /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I've messed with lxrandr before to no success. I posted about it awhile ago.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5292&p=15572#p15572
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

@elevation
From the error message in your earlier thread it looks like the --output argument is simply invalid. Did you run xrandr without any argument (or -q) to get available outputs and their supported modes?

Possibly it is HDMI-0.

And lxrandr is a GUI, so probably running this from desktop shows and allows to adjust the current display settings correctly?
elevation

Post by elevation »

In the old post, I'm not sure I had a display connected when I ran xrandr. For full disclosure, I primarily run the sparky headless. It boots to the desktop and I remote in. I did try plugging it in to an HDMI display with a resolution of 1920x1080 and clearly the sparky was outputting a lower resolution.

While remoted into the sparky, with no display attached xrandr returns:
Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1280 x 800, current 1280 x 800, maximum 1280 x 800
default connected 1280x800+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x800 62.00*

I'll have to hook it up to a display and see if I get different results. It might just be the limitation of the onboard video. I don't have immediate access to a suitable monitor so I'll have to mess with it later.

I appreciate your help and I'll respond to the thread when/if I figure anything out.

Matt