odroid c2 / plexmediaserver & overclocking

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
repomanz

odroid c2 / plexmediaserver & overclocking

Post by repomanz »

Hi folks,

I have an odroid c2 and am pretty pumped with the recent release of plex media server. I know this is a tall order given the request on the actual hardware but is it possible to overclock beyond the 2ghz "performance" setting within the dietpi configuration screen? Maybe an extreme profile or something stable but beyond the 2016mhz setting? I think another 100 to 200mhz more to transcode 1080p without any hiccups.

thanks,

Jon
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: odroid c2 / plexmediaserver & overclocking

Post by Fourdee »

repomanz wrote:Hi folks,

I have an odroid c2 and am pretty pumped with the recent release of plex media server. I know this is a tall order given the request on the actual hardware but is it possible to overclock beyond the 2ghz "performance" setting within the dietpi configuration screen? Maybe an extreme profile or something stable but beyond the 2016mhz setting? I think another 100 to 200mhz more to transcode 1080p without any hiccups.

thanks,

Jon
Hi Jon,

We don't plan on adding any Odroid overclocks. Its not worth the risk.

I believe Plex media server has a transcode option called "original", this will avoid transcoding and use hardly any CPU.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
repomanz

Post by repomanz »

Hi Fourdee,

I understand the risks of going beyond. Would you share a technique on how i could go beyond the dietpi option of performance? If i were to manually override these files, would diet-pi have issues with that (the files being changed outside of the dietpi-config scripts)?

Thanks for the reminder about the transcode option.

thanks,

Jon
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Hi Jon,
how i could go beyond the dietpi option of performance?
Unless the device is overclocked, the performance governor is pretty much the max performance you will get from your C2.

The kernel holds information for what CPU speeds and CPU governors are available for the system.
DietPi-Config reads that kernel information and will automatically provide the settings that are available.

I cant find any C2 overclocking guides, but I found a C1 guide. Unfortunately, It appears a full kernel compile is required for this: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=8579
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.