Backing up DietPi to NAS drive

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Crake

Re: Backing up DietPi to NAS drive

Post by Crake »

Joulinar wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:17 pm simply attach the log as real file if needed
Ok, here it is!
Had to compress it, otherwise it will exceed the 5MB limit
Attachments
dietpi-backup.log.7z
(106 Bytes) Downloaded 34 times
Crake

Post by Crake »

Joulinar wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:17 pm simply attach the log as real file if needed
Just watched the file and it was sizing 0bytes, so i runned the backup again and it hangs.
Really don't know what else i can do...
I guess i have to buy a simply pen drive to do the backups!
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

unfortunately the log is empty. There is just an empty file in your 7z

But what I have seen so far from the other post are permission issues. You are not able to change permission on the NFS server.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Reds

Post by Reds »

Just came here to say I use dietpi-backup to a QNAP NAS over NFS just as OP is asking for and it does work fine. The high level steps I followed were:
  • Created a new Share on the QNAP
  • Modified the 'NFS Host access' in the QNAP GUI to only allow the IP of the host you want to back up using dietpi-backup and grant RW mount access
  • Mount the NFS file system using DietPi-DriveManager
  • Run DietPi-Backup

Any problems I encountered along the way were all Storage side permissions issues.

Hope that helps.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

@Reds
thx for sharing and good to know that it is working on QNAP. I did a test on Synology, which is working as well.

Probably you like to share the challenges you faced on QNAP side an what solution you found.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team