[Solved] Color depth issue with Chromium Kiosk

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
shutz_c0de

[Solved] Color depth issue with Chromium Kiosk

Post by shutz_c0de » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi everybody,

First of all, thanks for this nice distribution, I got to say that it's well optimized and run well on my device.
I managed to install the DietPi OS on my Odroid C2 rather easily, and I've already updated to v6.20.6.

However, when I try to use Chromium in kiosk mode, the window doesn't fit the whole screen, and all my pictures show some pretty heavy dithering, or color banding.
If I startx and run Chromium from the LXDE desktop, everything is really nice and sharp.

So I was wondering if anybody already encoutered this issue?

Thanks in advance !

shutz_c0de

Re: Color depth issue with Chromium Kiosk

Post by shutz_c0de » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:05 pm

Welp, reinstalled everything from scratch and the dithering/color banding doesn't occur anymore :?

MichaIng
Legend

Re: Color depth issue with Chromium Kiosk

Post by MichaIng » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:52 pm

AFAIK, Chromium kiosk mode and terminal/desktop resolutions follow different resolution settings. We added Chromium resolution to dietpi.txt some versions ago, when this issue was recognized. Possibly this was not added/adjusted accordingly on update. Should have been possible by resetting the resolution via dietpi-config, but if a full reinstall was okay for you as well, it should be even cleaner.

locutusweb

Re: [Solved] Color depth issue with Chromium Kiosk

Post by locutusweb » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 pm

shutz_c0de wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:48 pm
However, when I try to use Chromium in kiosk mode, the window doesn't fit the whole screen, and all my pictures show some pretty heavy dithering, or color banding.
Same configuration: Odroid C2 and a fresh install of version v6.24.1. I first set the resolution to 1920x1080 then I installed chromium "stand alone" en set it to auto boot. This gave the same result as shutz_c0de described: window in upper left corner 2/3 of size and lower color depth(?). Modifying "dietpi.txt" with the correct resolution fixed the window size. Still the images are of poor quality. How do I fix that?

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm

@locutusweb
Do you have a desktop installed to check if color depth is correct there (so it's an X.org issue and no Chromium issue)?
We use --window-size=1920x1080 e.g. to apply size but most likely --window-size=1920x1080x32 will not work. It's a pain to get complete docs for Chromium command options...

Here the start script btw if you want to play around with options: /var/lib/dietpi/dietpi-software/installed/chromium-autostart.sh

locutusweb

Post by locutusweb » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:31 am

@MichaIng
MichaIng wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm
Do you have a desktop installed to check if color depth is correct there (so it's an X.org issue and no Chromium issue)?
I have installed LXDE as you said. The color depth look ok, but when I start chromium from LXDE; X crashes with error "mali_drm not found"
We use --window-size=1920x1080 e.g. to apply size but most likely --window-size=1920x1080x32 will not work. It's a pain to get complete docs for Chromium command options...
Here the start script btw if you want to play around with options: /var/lib/dietpi/dietpi-software/installed/chromium-autostart.sh
I already changed /var/lib/dietpi/dietpi-software/installed/chromium-autostart.sh with --window-size=1920x1080 because screensize wasn't detected properly.

I will wipe the installation and do a fresh install with lxde and auto start chromium in kiosk mode. I'll report back.

---update---

I did a fresh setup and I installed:
* LXDE
* Chromium
* set to auto boot LXDE

LXDE runs just fine and high color, but chromium crashes again with same error.