[Solved] Color depth issue with Chromium Kiosk

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
shutz_c0de

[Solved] Color depth issue with Chromium Kiosk

Post by shutz_c0de » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi everybody,

First of all, thanks for this nice distribution, I got to say that it's well optimized and run well on my device.
I managed to install the DietPi OS on my Odroid C2 rather easily, and I've already updated to v6.20.6.

However, when I try to use Chromium in kiosk mode, the window doesn't fit the whole screen, and all my pictures show some pretty heavy dithering, or color banding.
If I startx and run Chromium from the LXDE desktop, everything is really nice and sharp.

So I was wondering if anybody already encoutered this issue?

Thanks in advance !

shutz_c0de

Re: Color depth issue with Chromium Kiosk

Post by shutz_c0de » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:05 pm

Welp, reinstalled everything from scratch and the dithering/color banding doesn't occur anymore :?

MichaIng
Legend

Re: Color depth issue with Chromium Kiosk

Post by MichaIng » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:52 pm

AFAIK, Chromium kiosk mode and terminal/desktop resolutions follow different resolution settings. We added Chromium resolution to dietpi.txt some versions ago, when this issue was recognized. Possibly this was not added/adjusted accordingly on update. Should have been possible by resetting the resolution via dietpi-config, but if a full reinstall was okay for you as well, it should be even cleaner.

locutusweb

Re: [Solved] Color depth issue with Chromium Kiosk

Post by locutusweb » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 pm

shutz_c0de wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:48 pm
However, when I try to use Chromium in kiosk mode, the window doesn't fit the whole screen, and all my pictures show some pretty heavy dithering, or color banding.
Same configuration: Odroid C2 and a fresh install of version v6.24.1. I first set the resolution to 1920x1080 then I installed chromium "stand alone" en set it to auto boot. This gave the same result as shutz_c0de described: window in upper left corner 2/3 of size and lower color depth(?). Modifying "dietpi.txt" with the correct resolution fixed the window size. Still the images are of poor quality. How do I fix that?

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm

@locutusweb
Do you have a desktop installed to check if color depth is correct there (so it's an X.org issue and no Chromium issue)?
We use --window-size=1920x1080 e.g. to apply size but most likely --window-size=1920x1080x32 will not work. It's a pain to get complete docs for Chromium command options...

Here the start script btw if you want to play around with options: /var/lib/dietpi/dietpi-software/installed/chromium-autostart.sh

locutusweb

Post by locutusweb » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:31 am

@MichaIng
MichaIng wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm
Do you have a desktop installed to check if color depth is correct there (so it's an X.org issue and no Chromium issue)?
I have installed LXDE as you said. The color depth look ok, but when I start chromium from LXDE; X crashes with error "mali_drm not found"
We use --window-size=1920x1080 e.g. to apply size but most likely --window-size=1920x1080x32 will not work. It's a pain to get complete docs for Chromium command options...
Here the start script btw if you want to play around with options: /var/lib/dietpi/dietpi-software/installed/chromium-autostart.sh
I already changed /var/lib/dietpi/dietpi-software/installed/chromium-autostart.sh with --window-size=1920x1080 because screensize wasn't detected properly.

I will wipe the installation and do a fresh install with lxde and auto start chromium in kiosk mode. I'll report back.

---update 1---

I did a fresh setup and I installed:
* LXDE
* Chromium
* set to auto boot LXDE

LXDE runs just fine and high color, but chromium crashes again with same error.

---update 2---
I did a fresh and new installation on a Raspberry Pi 3: just as it should be: crisp and high color images. It looks like it is a GPU driver issue of the Odroid C2.

I prefer to use the C2 in kiosk mode as the fade in and out transitions between slides are more fluid. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by locutusweb on Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

locutusweb

Post by locutusweb » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:36 am

Added updates to my last post.

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:36 pm

@locutusweb
Could you please try:

Code: Select all

ln -sf /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/chromium/libGLESv2.so
ln -sf /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libEGL.so /usr/lib/chromium/libEGL.so
And if the above does still not work, or laggy or something, please try adding the following to the CHROMIUM_FLAGS in /var/lib/dietpi/dietpi-software/installed/chromium-autostart.sh:

--ignore-gpu-blacklist --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas --num-raster-threads=4 --audio-buffer-size=4096
Got it from Meverics instructions, however the missing EGL/GLES symlinks sound like those should indeed solve the issue: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php? ... 49#p194153
If the additional Chromium flags further improve hardware acceleration/performance, then we will add both to our default Chromium install on Odroid C2.

locutusweb

Post by locutusweb » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:20 pm

@MichaIng
Thanks for your prompt response.
Too bad the first option did not change the screenimage nor the second.

However ther is no item with "CHROMIUM_FLAGS" in /var/lib/dietpi/dietpi-software/installed/chromium-autostart.sh. I added the arguments to "CHROMIUM_OPTS".

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:52 pm

@locutusweb
Ah yeah CHROMIUM_OPTS is what I meant, there is another drop-in config that contains CHROMIUM_FLAGS, mixed that up ;).

Okay I followed the setup-odroid script, which is regularly maintained, so should work, although it is nearly identical to our steps:

# We install and use FBTurbo, so this fbdev mali driver is not required
apt purge xf86-video-mali-odroid
apt-get install --reinstall mali450-odroid xf86-video-fbturbo-odroid libump-odroid
cat << _EOF_ > /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "FBTURBO"
        Driver          "fbturbo"
        Option          "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"

Option          "SwapbuffersWait" "true"
        Option          "alpha_swap" "true"
EndSection
_EOF_