RPi 3B+ network disconnects while torrenting

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
mantas

RPi 3B+ network disconnects while torrenting

Post by mantas »

Hello. I'm new here in this community and also to RPis. It's my first one and what I wanted to do is a simple media center using Emby+CouchPotato+Sonarr to fetch movies and TV shows that I could later watch on my TV. But it seems that I am facing some problems here. When I try to download a movie using transmission my network connections always drop. I am connected via ethernet and have a 300mb/s fiber optic internet and when Transmission starts to download the speeds goes up to 20mb/s and then they suddenly drop, then goes up again and so on. When the speeds drop it seems that I also can't use the SSH for about 30 seconds until the network connection "comes up" again. I tried downloading to a USB drive and external HDD with no luck - it always behaves the same. I also googled a little bit and found out that RPi ethernet connection uses USB ports so I thought that maybe that's the case, but even when I disabled the ethernet adapter and tried everything connected only via WiFi it's exactly the same. I even tried different torrent clients (qBitTorrent and Deluge) but I still have the same issue. This never happens when I download torrents using my MacBook so I guess it's not a problem with my ISP either. Maybe some of you had these issues and know how to fix it? I would really appreciate that.
Thanks
seanmikhaels

Re: RPi 3B+ network disconnects while torrenting

Post by seanmikhaels »

I am having the exact same issue on my 3B+ plus with dietpi 6.19.7. No matter what i try wifi or ethernet i still have the same problem. I also had this happen on my older 3B as well. I have a Zero-W which i am testing now but seems to happen more often when downloading multiple files in deluged at high speed.
WarHawk

Re: RPi 3B+ network disconnects while torrenting

Post by WarHawk »

Might not be able to handle all the ports open when torrenting...can be hundreds if not thousands of connections open, might set the TTL for connections to a shorter time so they timeout and close faster.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/667096/ ... ip-packets

unsure of the keep alive time it needs to be...but default is usually set like 3600 which is WAY to long for torrenting