Clonezilla integration

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
cocoflan

Clonezilla integration

Post by cocoflan »

Is it not possible to integrate a clonezilla instance on the installation in a part of the microsdcard so it is possible to backup to external disks, the full dietpi system easy? In Openmediavault for example this is posible, and with booting in the clonezilla instance you can easy backup your system to an external device en after backup easy restart in the normal mode from the clonzilla boot instance to dietpi.
WarHawk

Re: Clonezilla integration

Post by WarHawk »

I like how armbian can put the root/system info on a USB and boot from that rather than boot from an SD card...the SD card holds the boot kernel...then points to the USB to run the OS.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

@cocoflan
Thanks for your request. However I don't see too much benefit from that. It needs an additional partition, AFAIK?, which makes partitioning more complex, especially on UEFI and/or the 6 partition system some SBCs have. We would need to apply this as an additional step during image preparation script, which is somehow risky, needs an additional download source and all such. And since users were able to flash DietPi onto the SDcard, they are also able to clone/backup the entire SDcard on e.g. their desktop, which is anyway the safest method.

But we are open for votes of course :).

@WarHawk
This is another topic, but at least on RPi and Odroid you can do the same via dietpi-drive_manager. Thing is that one needs to tell the bootloader about the new root partition and in some cases this is not possible without rebuilding the bootloader with new parameters. RPi and Odroids have their cmdline.txt/boot.ini where you can do this easily.
So this is something we can only individually allow, based on the possibility to easily adjust the boot command line parameters.
cocoflan

Post by cocoflan »

Thanks, for the comment!

I know that it may not be so easy to implement, but i am using it on openmediavault and it works well, even on an sdcard systems.

Only just a suggestion, that's all.

your system is already super. minimal self expandable systems rule!