IPTables Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
ynowifi

IPTables

Post by ynowifi »

Hi all,

I'm absolutely loving learning and tinkering with Diet-Pi. I'm currently creating a Security System with Motion, Apache2 and PHP.

The www front end currently allows me to view system statistics, the current stream and to turn the Motion service on/off using PHP to avoid any false positives. On my things to do for the system before I move the Diet-Pi to its permanent home is that I'm going to configure Motion to send emails on motion detected, back up the detected images/videos folder to Google Drive, install NoIP and IPTables (more on that below), plus the other things that I likely need to accomplish but have forgotten!

I'm coming close to completing this project, however I wish to add IPTables to secure the system. The issue I am facing is I don't seem to find a lot of information regarding IPTables for Debian/Raspbian, and anything I do find references Ubuntu and directories that do not seem to exist within DietPi.

I was wondering does anyone have DietPi friendly configuration steps for IPTables? Keep in mind I have not configured IPTables before so that is new to me, however all of the other basic Linux things I can do comfortably.

Thanks in advance!
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: IPTables

Post by Fourdee »

ynowifi wrote:I was wondering does anyone have DietPi friendly configuration steps for IPTables? Keep in mind I have not configured IPTables before so that is new to me, however all of the other basic Linux things I can do comfortably.

Thanks in advance!
Hi "Why no WiFi" ;),

Sounds like an interesting project for your RPi. Unfortunately, i do not have any 1st hand knowledge of this so I am currently unable to assist you at the moment.

Hopefully someone with that knowledge will reply, if not, i would recommend the Raspberry Pi Forums for advice. As DietPi runs on Raspbian, you can follow the guides/advice from the RPi community with your DietPi installation.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
DietPirate

Re: IPTables

Post by DietPirate »

I use iptables together with DietPi and it works great. It should work the same on all debian setups, and likely on other distros as well.

It can be a b+tch setting it up properly so expect a lot of frustration. Expect it to take time, because of the trial-and-error nature in configuring it, so don't start doing this just a few hours before you need your Pi for anything network-related. Also expect to lock yourself out of your system many times (via ssh) so make sure to have a keyboard for connecting directly to the Pi to get back in.

IPtables is probably the most common linux firewall so the internet is packed with info about configuring it, and a google search should land you a gazillion results, including others' examples of rules and scripts that can provide a good starting point.