[Solved] Pops and Clicks with RoonBridge

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: Pops and Clicks with RoonBridge

Post by MichaIng »

How did you enable the USB sound card? Via dietpi-config > Audio options or manually?

From the OT I get the you use an "Aune S16 DAC connected to the Odroid C2 via USB". So via dietpi-config you should be able to select it from the list as "usb-dac-something". If you do so from an Odroid C2, the above fix will be applied. But we did not patch this automatically (with DietPi v6.17) on update, so one needed to re-select the sound card.

If you did not re-select or manually enabled the sound card, do:

Code: Select all

# Automatically apply on boot
cat << _EOF_ > /var/lib/dietpi/postboot.d/c2_smp.sh
#!/bin/bash
echo 4 > /proc/irq/63/smp_affinity
echo 8 > /proc/irq/62/smp_affinity
_EOF_

# And to apply now
jacobacci

Re: Pops and Clicks with RoonBridge

Post by jacobacci »

Thanks, this time it worked
I was able to select the USB DAC as soundcard in dietpi-config and the clicks and pops are indeed gone.
The result of the commands is:

root@DietPi:~# cat /var/lib/dietpi/postboot.d/c2_smp.sh
#!/bin/bash
root@DietPi:~# cat /proc/irq/63/smp_affinity
root@DietPi:~# cat /proc/irq/62/smp_affinity
root@DietPi:~#
Thanks a million.
scumbag

Re: [Solved] Pops and Clicks with RoonBridge

Post by scumbag »

Hello
I am sad to report that i have updated my audiophonics kali i2s streamer running dietpi with roon and i still getting the popping and clicking sounds as well. This thread is marked as solved but the issue has not been solved.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

@scumbag
Hmm your audio device is no USB DAC and according to how much I understood the solution provided it should just have an effect on USB devices.

However just to sort it out, could you try this out and see if it solves your pops and clicks as well:

Sorry that I didn't see this earlier, you using I²S DAC while the others use an USB DAC.
scumbag

Post by scumbag »

MichaIng wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:13 pm @scumbag
Hmm your audio device is no USB DAC and according to how much I understood the solution provided it should just have an effect on USB devices.

However just to sort it out, could you try this out and see if it solves your pops and clicks as well:

Sorry that I didn't see this earlier, you using I²S DAC while the others use an USB DAC.
Hi,

Sorry for the belated response. I've been having some health issues that have been sucking up my energy of late.
OK, I am a total noob. How do I apply the commands as per your last response? I assume it is via the command line but I have zero idea how to log in to that and apply the changes. I have played in MS DOS but that's the extent of my experience with the command line ;)

Mark (Scumbag)
scumbag

Post by scumbag »

Well no reply.
Let me also add that I am unable to update Dietpi as it corrupts my installation. Also if I install the latest OS, my DAC is not included in the build and it has to be manually installed. I have no idea how to do that.
I am basically going to give up on Dietpi if I don't hear anything back on this thread soon. I'll have to try to find another OS that works with Roon. If I can't find one then I am going to sell my PI3 device - this is too much hacking for me when I can buy an (admittedly more expensive) solution that simply works without months of fudging around on forums.
jacobacci

Post by jacobacci »

I am afraid using is2 is not the best of approaches if you don't like fudging around on forums. Contrary to USB, is2 is not standardized and it is a protocol designed for very short distance communication between chips. Audiophile nerds use is2 (contrary to the purpose it was designed for) to connect physically separate components, but that is far from a plug and play approach. I would very strongly advise you to use something out of the box and use USB or SPDIF to connect your DAC.
scumbag

Post by scumbag »

Well that got a speedy response. Pity there wasn't anything to help me fix the issue.
This is not isolated to I2S. Have a look at the references to pops and clicks in Dietpi and you'll find a range of devices that have the issue. It seems to be related to CPU affinity. I reached out for help about a month ago and then about a week ago to get a solution.
But I think you're confirmed what I thought. Dietpi is not for me. I'm of to try another OS.
jacobacci

Post by jacobacci »

I don't believe it will be any easier with another OS. All the stuff on Raspberries is based on Linux, so you will have to go through the same learning curve with all of them.
What you need to do here is to SSH into your RP:
  • Get Putty
  • Determine the IP address of your RP using Advanced IP Scanner
  • connect to the RP using Putty
  • login with Userid root, PWD dietpi
  • apply the commands in question
Hope this helps
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

@scumbag
Lets fix hat update issue you have first. I guess you tried to update to v6.20 some time ago which failed? Please try the following to update to v6.21. Yeah for this either connect a keyboard + monitor to your Odroid or use PuTTY on Windows to log in via SSH by providing your local network IP address of the Odroid in the program. Login at best with root user, default password "dietpi" or whatever you chose on initial install. Then run, by typing these lines one by one to your terminal or when using SSH/PuTTY simply copy & paste everything into the cmd window and press return:

> /DietPi/dietpi/.update_stage
> /etc/profile.d/dietpi-unsupported_terminal.sh
echo 1 > /DietPi/dietpi/.install_stage
dietpi-update 1
To test resolving the pops and clicks, do the same with the low commands: