RPI ZERO W keeps rebooting

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
CJ01

Re: RPI ZERO W keeps rebooting

Post by CJ01 »

MichaIng wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:01 pm I opened an issue for investigation on github: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/2008

Since it also happened with Lighttpd, I guess it is related to cam firmware/kernel module. We need to check on own RPi (Zero W).

Can you catch some error messages on boot? In case you need to enable persistent logging (disable dietpi-ramlog first).
If no chance for boot up, check logs from rsyslog on external device.
Thanks for opening an investigation. I'll try to get some error messages.
CJ01

Post by CJ01 »

I'm not exactly sure what you mean leave GB selected but select US as default.
CJ01

Post by CJ01 »

MichaIng wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:01 pm I opened an issue for investigation on github: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/2008

Since it also happened with Lighttpd, I guess it is related to cam firmware/kernel module. We need to check on own RPi (Zero W).

Can you catch some error messages on boot? In case you need to enable persistent logging (disable dietpi-ramlog first).
If no chance for boot up, check logs from rsyslog on external device.
I also had the same issue with a fresh image and REALVNC install. I did not install the Webcam distro. It may be an issue with the PiZero W. I'll also try it on a Pi3B+ (don't know when I'll have time) and get back to you.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Okay, as RealVNC and the RPi cam control do not share obvious dependencies (vnc <- desktop, cam control <- webserver), I guess it is not related and a hardware related issue, maybe related to a certain setting.

About locales:
If you set the locale via dietpi.txt directly after flash, before first boot, every should be fine with it and the locale should be as well present on the system afterwards. It needs to be UTF-8 locale, for US: en_US.UTF-8
If you overwrite/set the locale with any other way (outside dietpi.txt), then indeed first run will overwrite it. DietPi ensures that en_GB is always present as well (not chosen as default for shell, but available), as we use it within our scripts to have reliable command outputs that we can check. But even if you manually remove en_GB, this should not result in boot loops, just some error messages and DietPi scripts/banner not working correctly.

About serial console:
On initial boot, serial console is enabled by default, to allow setting some other defaults, that I don't understand too much :lol:. If there is no serial console available, it will throw some error messages, which are expected then an can be ignored. Maybe we should mute them to not confuse users :?.
After initial boot, serial console will then be set according to dietpi.txt choice. But again, even if there is no serial console available, but you enable it, it should not cause boot loops.

Serial console and USB devices have different /dev/ location schemes, thus there should be nothing mix up.

If you find time, could you try the following, if you have another Linux machine to access the ext4 partition on the SDcard:
- After fresh install, switch from dietpi-ramlog to full persistant logging (rsyslog) with dietpi-software.
- Then after this is enabled (and at best reboot) install the software that caused the boot loop.
- If it happens, plug the SDcard into the other Linux system and check the /var/log/syslog, perhaps daemon.log boot.log and some other log files for errors. There should be definitely a hint what exactly causes the boot failure.
CJ01

Post by CJ01 »

I'll give it a try this weekend and get back to you.

Thanks for the quick response.
FYI I still plan on doing it on the Pi3B+ and see if I have the same issues.

Thanks again,

CJ