RPI ZERO W keeps rebooting

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
CJ01

RPI ZERO W keeps rebooting

Post by CJ01 »

I installed dietpi today on a Zero w. (did it on a 3B+ and setup as Hotspot no problem). I wanted to setup the zero as a webcam.
I did this 4 times before I started to install or change the configuration and reboot at least 2 times to make sure all was good.
I changed the setup to US. connected to the Wi-Fi.
Updated to the latest version of dietpi. Update the firmware.
Changed drop bear to ssh.
installed REALVNC.
But when I Install RPI WEB CAM it keeps rebooting and I can't stop it.
As I said after the 3rd time I flashed a fresh image again and rebooted at least 2 times after each change or install until I got to the RPI Web CAM issue.
I get "You're in emergency mode. Enter root password for maintenance or CTRL D.
I tried dietpi for the password and root. CTRL D does nothing but reboot back to the same area.
I'm assuming there is am issue with RPI Web Cam.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!
WarHawk

Re: RPI ZERO W keeps rebooting

Post by WarHawk »

Sounds like you might have a low voltage situation...check to make sure you are getting good 5Vdc or even higher..says 5.2vdc output from your power device
CJ01

Post by CJ01 »

Actually that's the first thing I checked. I replaced the power supply with one used on my Pi3B+. It's 5.2V, 3amps.
I even tested it with my voltmeter. The issue is this pi Zero W setup works fine with a full version of Raspian and the RPI WEB CAM version I had to manually configure. I switched back to that card and all is fine. I just like the small footprint and ease of setup with DietPi. And it only starts to reboot when I add in the Web Cam distro on DietPi. I even tried some other packages after my initial posting, on the card, flashed a new image. In fact I added a few distros to the DietPi setup and had no problem. But when I went back to flashing the card and the same steps for the Pi Web cam distro it keeps rebooting. I even tried different SD cards. I only use high quality SanDisk SD cards on all my Pi's .SanDisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC UHS-I. For the Pi camera I used the 64GB on the original setup with Raspian and RPI Web Cam ( I actually have 3 running for over 2 months) and had no issues at all. For other projects that don't require a lot of space I use smaller size cards but same quality.
CJ01

Post by CJ01 »

It looks like v6.13 is up now. Is that true?
My upgrade took me up to v6.12. Could that be an issue?
I'll try once more with a fresh image and upgrade to v6.13.
CJ01

Post by CJ01 »

The only issue I can think of is RPI Web Cam likes to use Apache 2 (At least when I installed it with a full version of Raspian on the Zero W that worked). DietPi installs Lighttpd by default.
I'll install Apache 2 and remove Lighttpd and reboot 2 times. If I'm not in a reboot loop I'll try installing RPI Web Cam.
I'll get back to the group after this.
CJ01

Post by CJ01 »

It wasn't Apache 2.

It looks like the errors are related to the keyboard (which I did not have issues with under the initial setup with full Raspian).
I use a wireless keyboard. I switched it to a wired usb keyboard and still have the same issue.

The one thing I did do is enable serial console (which I did not do on the full version of Raspian). I'm wondering since the PiZero W has only one USB hub it somehow gets confused with serial console and a keyboard attached?

I will try to start over with a new image and not enable serial console.
CJ01

Post by CJ01 »

So, after a new flashed image on a new card I had no issues when doing the software and firmware updates.
I set my Locals info (US, English, keyboard) Which did not get save on the first boot. Went back to UK defaults. I had to set them again.
I did not enable serial console. I just replaced Dropbear with SSH support. Apache 2 for webserver. Reboot (2 times) after each change/install.
No other software installs. Rebotted a few times with no issues.
I picked RPI Webcam to install. It installed Apache 2 and then RPI Webcam. And I'm back with the same issues.
It looks like it has a problem with the keyboard. I made sure it was setup correctly and wired. It draws .01 amps.
Has anyone any idea what's going on here? It it just a bad Apache 2 or RPI Webcam package?
As I stated I have the setup on a Pi Zero W card with full blown Raspian, and the Apache 2 and RPI Webcam and have no issues at all.
CJ01

Post by CJ01 »

Issue happens with a fresh image and REALVNC install.

Goint back to Raspian lite and manual package install.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

I opened an issue for investigation on github: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/2008

Since it also happened with Lighttpd, I guess it is related to cam firmware/kernel module. We need to check on own RPi (Zero W).

Can you catch some error messages on boot? In case you need to enable persistent logging (disable dietpi-ramlog first).
If no chance for boot up, check logs from rsyslog on external device.
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

CJ01 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:55 pm So, after a new flashed image on a new card I had no issues when doing the software and firmware updates.
I set my Locals info (US, English, keyboard) Which did not get save on the first boot. Went back to UK defaults. I had to set them again.
I did not enable serial console. I just replaced Dropbear with SSH support. Apache 2 for webserver. Reboot (2 times) after each change/install.
No other software installs. Rebotted a few times with no issues.
I picked RPI Webcam to install. It installed Apache 2 and then RPI Webcam. And I'm back with the same issues.
It looks like it has a problem with the keyboard. I made sure it was setup correctly and wired. It draws .01 amps.
Has anyone any idea what's going on here? It it just a bad Apache 2 or RPI Webcam package?
As I stated I have the setup on a Pi Zero W card with full blown Raspian, and the Apache 2 and RPI Webcam and have no issues at all.
I do know that you don't remove the GB from locales...leave it selected but select US as default...I think it might cause oddities if it is removed