[Solved] Upgrading from 158 with phpBB

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
wintoid

[Solved] Upgrading from 158 with phpBB

Post by wintoid »

Hi,

I have a PHPBB3 forum set up and running on my pi using dietpi 158. I understand that automatic upgrade is not possible, so I need to work out how to do this manually.

I customised some stuff (themes, icons and so on), and there is some uploaded data (people's avatars and so on). As a result, my concern is whether I can copy the phpBB3 directories from the old system, and place them on the new system. If I do this, will it mess up future upgrades of dietpi?

Secondly, if I backup the database from the old dietpi, will the database be compatible with the version of phpBB on the new dietpi?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading from 158 with phpBB

Post by MichaIng »

I am not 100% sure, but a quick look onto the dietpi.com phpBB looks like all phpBB info is stored within /var/www/phpbb and the database, so the following should be sufficient:
- First update your phpBB via web UI to current version (3.2.2) and verify it works as expected, then

Code: Select all

cp -a /var/www/phpbb /path/to/external/backup/
mysqldump phpbb3 > /path/to/external/backup/phpbb_backup.sql
- Then on new system install phpBB via dietpi-software, but do NOT access the web UI. Instead:

Code: Select all

mysql phpbb3 < /path/to/external/backup/phpbb_backup.sql
cp -a /path/to/external/backup/phpbb/. /var/www/phpbb/
Then access to the forum, it should be on stage as before.

Btw: The mysqldump exported sql file is a universal database format. You can import this to any sql capable database of any version, so no worries about this ;).

BUT please find another guide, just to verify the above. Don't risk a surprise about another important location where phpBB somehow stores info. But actually it should not be able to, due to the limited permissions it has.
wintoid

Post by wintoid »

Brilliant, thanks so much. The great thing about a pi is that I can backup the whole SSD and just try it to see. If it doesn't work, I'll revert :)

Cheers!
wintoid

Post by wintoid »

Thanks so much, that worked a treat. I was a bit worried that the removal of mysql would be a problem, but it looks like mariadb just replaces it?

Anyway, it works fine, so I'm really chuffed!
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

@wintoid
Nice to hear. I need to collect those migration infos, as I want to integrate some software specific backup/migration into dietpi-backup (or separate tool) that allows easier migration of your installed software from one server to another.
wintoid

Re: [Solved] Upgrading from 158 with phpBB

Post by wintoid »

My one outstanding problem, and I'm sorry if I've prevailed upon your good will too much already, is that following a reboot of the pi, it can be up to 5 minutes before it will deliver the phpBB webpages. Once it starts, it's fine.

Do I have a service on a delayed startup or something? How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks,