Raspberry Pi 2 to Raspberry Pi 3

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
bookedirl

Raspberry Pi 2 to Raspberry Pi 3

Post by bookedirl »

I'm going to be picking up a raspberry pi 3 soon and wanted to know if I can just use the same SD card (dietpi installed) that I use for my raspberry pi 2 and place it in my Raspberry pi 3. Is there anything I need to change or will it just work?

Thanks.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 to Raspberry Pi 3

Post by Fourdee »

bookedirl wrote:I'm going to be picking up a raspberry pi 3 soon and wanted to know if I can just use the same SD card (dietpi installed) that I use for my raspberry pi 2 and place it in my Raspberry pi 3. Is there anything I need to change or will it just work?

Thanks.
Hi Bookedirl,

You will need to use the updated DietPi image for full raspberry pi 3 support. You can download it here: http://goo.gl/EsIvUp.

You can run firmware update and use the existing SDcard in your RPi v3 (rpi-update). But the inbuilt bluetooth and wifi will not function. As there was no installation documentation or packages from RPi on the new BCM chip (at that time), I had to redo the DietPi RPi image from scratch based on their updated Jessie lite image, to support it.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.