Multiple [FAILED] during boot after hard shutdown

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
Acriax

Multiple [FAILED] during boot after hard shutdown

Post by Acriax »

So a while ago, my DietPi Wheezy installation stopped booting on my RPi 2 after a power outtage. I finally took the time a couple of days ago to format the Pi and install Jessie on it while I was at it. Yesterday, everything was finally installed and working great, so I unplugged the Pi from the power and my desktop monitor to move it into the closet where it would sit as a server. I then noticed I couldn't connect to it via SSH anymore and when I plugged it back into the monitor to see what was wrong, it greeted me with a wall of FAILED messages during boot:

http://imgur.com/4SFcw2z

It manages to get to that point, then times out on the "(1 of 2) A start job..." line after it has counted up, then reboots and gets to the same point again. There were 2 or 3 red FAILED messages before the ones in the picture, but they scrolled past too quickly for me to be able to read or photo.

I guess I should have run a shutdown command before unplugging it, but I've unplugged it many times before without problem. Anyway, I've backed up the SD card and tried replacing the boot partition with a fresh one from the DietPi_v109_RPi-(Jessie).img but the problem remains. Searched on google for the various errors on there but didn't find anything that relates to this specific issue, DietPi or Raspbian yet.

Any idea what part of the filesystem might be corrupted or what I can do without losing all data and configuration? Is there any way to do some recovery, maybe some key-combination on boot or other way to get to a command line to try and run a fsck on the Pi? Also, in is it ext2 or ext4 support I need in order to be able to access the filesystem from osx?
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Multiple [FAILED] during boot after hard shutdown

Post by Fourdee »

Acriax wrote:So a while ago, my DietPi Wheezy installation stopped booting on my RPi 2 after a power outtage. I finally took the time a couple of days ago to format the Pi and install Jessie on it while I was at it. Yesterday, everything was finally installed and working great, so I unplugged the Pi from the power and my desktop monitor to move it into the closet where it would sit as a server. I then noticed I couldn't connect to it via SSH anymore and when I plugged it back into the monitor to see what was wrong, it greeted me with a wall of FAILED messages during boot:

http://imgur.com/4SFcw2z

It manages to get to that point, then times out on the "(1 of 2) A start job..." line after it has counted up, then reboots and gets to the same point again. There were 2 or 3 red FAILED messages before the ones in the picture, but they scrolled past too quickly for me to be able to read or photo.

I guess I should have run a shutdown command before unplugging it, but I've unplugged it many times before without problem. Anyway, I've backed up the SD card and tried replacing the boot partition with a fresh one from the DietPi_v109_RPi-(Jessie).img but the problem remains. Searched on google for the various errors on there but didn't find anything that relates to this specific issue, DietPi or Raspbian yet.

Any idea what part of the filesystem might be corrupted or what I can do without losing all data and configuration? Is there any way to do some recovery, maybe some key-combination on boot or other way to get to a command line to try and run a fsck on the Pi? Also, in is it ext2 or ext4 support I need in order to be able to access the filesystem from osx?
Hi Acriax,

As you probably know, you should never remove the power from your RPi (or any other similar device) without shutting it down first. This will in most cases cause filesystem corruption. It can also damage the SD card if it was writing at the time the power was removed.

It looks like the data on your SD card has become corrupted.

To try and recover the data on the SD card, you will need a system that can read EXT4. If you let me know what programs you had installed, I can tell you where the data will be.
If you used a dedicated USB drive, your user/personal data (eg: bittorrent downloads, owncloud) will be located on that.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
Acriax

Post by Acriax »

Yeah, I think I've learned my lesson now. :) Still think it's a bit silly/weird that linux is so vulnerable to filesystem corruption from powerloss. The grid here is pretty flakey and have never had such issues in Windows. One would think that it shouldn't be holding open filestreams to boot-critical system files when it isn't absolutely necessary... Or atleast that those critical files should be located in one place so it's easy to replace them if they ever do get corrupted.

Hmm I guess it wouldn't be too bothersome to reinstall the entire thing, but was hoping I wouldn't have to again as I had just configured it exactly as I wanted. My files are as you say safe on another external hdd.

I'm going to try installing a VM of Ubuntu to be able to run a fsck on the SD-card, so fingers crossed. :)

Thank you anyway!
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Acriax wrote:I'm going to try installing a VM of Ubuntu to be able to run a fsck on the SD-card, so fingers crossed. :)
Why not give DietPi VM a spin? :) http://dietpi.com/downloads/images/
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.