Minor Bug: Midnight commander line characters

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
Narfel

Minor Bug: Midnight commander line characters

Post by Narfel »

After the update to 6.2 my mc forgot how to draw lines in putty. This can changed to e.g. from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 in Translation settings but then all dietpi menus get messed up. I did reinstall via dietpi-software and via apt to no avail.
k-plan

Re: Minor Bug: Midnight commander line characters

Post by k-plan »

Hi Narfel,

yes, notice this as well. Sorry, have miss to make a github issue for this.
Thanks for reminder.
MC
MC

edit: Done - Workaround for v6.2 available - Resolved for v6.3

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/1540

Apologies, this was an issue our end in conjunction with a Dropbear (SSH Sever) bug.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
Narfel

Post by Narfel »

Wow thank you, that was surprisingly complicated, wasn't it? The workaround script for 6.2 from the github issue works like a charm for me (Pi0, putty).
k-plan

Post by k-plan »

Hi,
Narfel wrote:The workaround script for 6.2 from the github issue works like a charm for me (Pi0, putty).
Thanks for your feedback. Nice to hear it will now work for you (with Dropbear SSH Sever).
Narfel wrote:Wow thank you, that was surprisingly complicated, wasn't it?
For me?
No, I was only lecturer, protagonist, tester and assistant.
@Fourdee did the work and found a great solution for every locale language and running software.
But yes, it is not easy, by supporting a wide range of different platforms and many software title with a great spectrum.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

k-plan wrote:@Fourdee did the work and found a great solution for every locale language and running software.
But yes, it is not easy, by supporting a wide range of different platforms and many software title with a great spectrum.
I can't take all the credit for this one. I used @MichaIng original idea with the previous profile.d template, works a charm :)

And, as always, your valuable assistance @k-plan with this one :)
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
Narfel

Post by Narfel »

Just in case you missed that: iptraf-ng and iftop suffer the same fate, as does wavemon and i guess other similar ncurses based apps. The same Translation switch like vom my first post works as well (with the same drawbacks). With the obvious disclaimer that I am using of course still on 6.2 the temporary fix didn't look mc specific so i thought that would fix it for all.

Oh, and here's a thank you you can*t wiggle yourself out. You pointed me (via the github issue) to Kitty. I use putty since forever never thought to check if there is a fork. So thanks for that as well :idea: :)
Narfel

Post by Narfel »

Found out that it is more widespread than i thought initially, other distros and hardware both brought the same garbled chars in either mc or other ncurses based programs. I could go around with setting Putty/Kitty Translation to anything BUT UTF-8 but none fixed both mc and other ncurses at the same time. All that playing around with locale settings didn't help me, and neither did setting $TERM to anything. In the end i managed to realize that just using screen fixes all this. Since i was planning on using it anyway that's my current fix for proper line characters.