SyncThing - GUI wont work with User Data Location set my NAS

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
buffalo0207

SyncThing - GUI wont work with User Data Location set my NAS

Post by buffalo0207 »

The GUI of Syncthing will not connect when I point to a location on my NAS (/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata) using Samba for the User Data Location for Dietpi. I can only connect to the GUI when this location is set the the original /mnt/dietpi_userdata using the microsd card (only 4GB)

I need to change away from the microSD card and use my NAS so that I don't get any error messages due to memory shortage.

I thought it may have something to do with access privileges, but I've already input the username and password when setting up Samba.

Can anyone help?
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: SyncThing - GUI wont work with User Data Location set my

Post by Fourdee »

buffalo0207 wrote:The GUI of Syncthing will not connect when I point to a location on my NAS (/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata) using Samba for the User Data Location for Dietpi. I can only connect to the GUI when this location is set the the original /mnt/dietpi_userdata using the microsd card (only 4GB)

I need to change away from the microSD card and use my NAS so that I don't get any error messages due to memory shortage.

I thought it may have something to do with access privileges, but I've already input the username and password when setting up Samba.

Can anyone help?
Hi
I can only connect to the GUI when this location is set the the original /mnt/dietpi_userdata using the microsd card (only 4GB)
When using DietPi-Software to move to the userdata folder, DietPi will automatically symlink /mnt/dietpi_userdata to target, please verify with:

Code: Select all

root@DietPi:~# ls -lha /mnt/dietpi_userdata
lrwxrwxrwx 1 dietpi dietpi 26 Feb 11 22:15 /mnt/dietpi_userdata -> /mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata
If the above is a match, then using /mnt/dietpi_userdata is correct. Essentially, you never need to change /mnt/dietpi_userdata in any installed programs, as long as you use DietPi to move the userdata.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
buffalo0207

Post by buffalo0207 »

So I verified the above and it all matched, though It doesn't change that the GUI wont work with the User Data pointed to my NAS. As an experiment, I changed the User Data back to /mnt/dietpi_userdata and the GUI worked.

I'm not sure of the issue as when I use samba to point to my NAS for Squeezebox (on a different Pi), everything works fine. It's only an issue using Syncthing.

For Syncthing, Isn't is possible to have the User data pointed to the 4gb microSD card and the folders i'm trying to sync, automatically use the samba location. It would resolve alot of issues...

Thanks.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Hmm SyncThing uses dietpi as user, so the external file system (subfolder) needs to be owned by dietpi. Check/verify, that the filesystem supports user permissions: ls -l /mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata

We do permissions check and give info message, if it fails, but not block dietpi_userdata transfer in case.
buffalo0207

Post by buffalo0207 »

So I got the following data...

root@DietPi-3B:~# ls -l /mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Feb 11 22:28 downloads
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Feb 11 22:28 Music
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Feb 11 22:28 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Feb 11 22:28 syncthing
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Feb 11 22:28 syncthing_data
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Feb 11 22:28 urbackup
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Feb 11 22:28 Video
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

Code: Select all

# chown -R dietpi:dietpi /mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata
Is syncthing running as root or as dietpi?
buffalo0207

Post by buffalo0207 »

How do I check for that? I always install programs from Dietpi having already SSH'd in as root. Otherwise, I never change any settings other than those shown on the Dietpi pages...
buffalo0207

Post by buffalo0207 »

When I do:

chown -R dietpi:dietpi /mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata

Results:

dietpi@DietPi-3B:~$ chown -R dietpi:dietpi /mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/downloads': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/Music': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/Pictures': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/syncthing_data/.stfolder': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/syncthing_data': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/urbackup/urbackup_tmp_files': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/urbackup': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/Video': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/.swapfile': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/syncthing/cert.pem': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/syncthing/key.pem': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/syncthing/config.xml': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata/syncthing': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/samba/dietpi_userdata': Operation not permitted
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Removed, incorrect info.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

We'll need to consider changing samba user to DietPi, by default?