Raspi dies

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
dietpiOK

Raspi dies

Post by dietpiOK »

Hi!

I am running one of my RasPis outside of my house in a sched.
Unfortunately this one does obviously not work properly. It is running for a certain time and then it obviously dies. Since it is running headless (without display, keyboard, mouse) I cannot see what happens.
When reboot the Pi (pulling out the power) it will return to a quite normal state until it dies again.

So I implemented a script that runs every minute and put some kind of alive message to a database. This makes it possible for me to narrow down the time when it happens and examine the /var/log/messages and the /var/log/syslog files.

Currently I can see in the database that the last entry is from 17:12. In the messages file the last entry is from 16:17. The same for the syslog file.

So the log files do not help me investigating the root cause that the Pi dies.

Can I put some kind of verbose logging into the Pi system? Or does any of you have any idea what might be the reason that my Pi dies?

Best regards,
Olaf
k-plan

Re: Raspi dies

Post by k-plan »

Hi Olaf,
dietpiOK wrote:Or does any of you have any idea what might be the reason that my Pi dies?
Gehe davon aus, du hast "Full logging system with Logrotate and Rsyslog." ausgewählt.

Wenn dich das nicht weiter bring, tippe ich auf Probleme mit dem Datei System.

Werden die Abstände des "Einfrieren" deines RPi mit der Zeit immer kürzer?
Leuchten die LED noch, wenn das Gerät nicht mehr reagiert?
Das Netzteil und die Micro USB Kabel sind ausreichen dimensioniert (min. 5,1 V min. 2A)?

Wenn alles ja, dann tippe ich, dass die SD-Karte sich verabschiedet.
Neue kaufen (z.B. SanDisk Extreme , Class 10, U3) und wieder längere Zeit Ruhe haben.
Die preiswerten werden durch die vielen Schreibzugriffe schnell verschlissen.
Kannst auch versuchen, das Root Dateisystem auf einen USB Stick zu verlagern.
Dann brauchst du die SD-Karte nur noch zum booten des RPi.
Aber das muss dann auch was vernünftiges an USB-Stick sein. Aber auch das wird nicht ewig halten.
Flash Medien sind halt keine Festplatten.

cu
k-plan
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

either it is overheating (doubtful) or you have a bad power supply feeding it...it needs stable 5V

Most stability problems I ever experienced with my RPi or OPi's were due to inadequate power feed
dietpiOK

Post by dietpiOK »

Thanks for your replies.
I am running th Pi (RasPi 2 Model B V1.1)with a Marel 5V, 2A power supply. I am not quite sure how stable the 5V are, but I hope that the 5V are quite stable.
So I will replace the SD card and see if the RasPi will work properly...