Z83 and DietPi

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
johnvick
Legend

Z83 and DietPi

Post by johnvick »

Just setting up this Christmas present and very impressed.

So far Emby-Server running stably with Mono 5.4.1.6.

Tonido installed with one addition step - I had to install libpng12-0_1.2.50-2+deb8u3_amd64.deb downoaded from Jessie rep manually. And a big bonus is the Windows sync client works.

Syncthing working fine.

Wifi doesn't work - haven't tried audio or bluetooth.

Hardware transcoding using Emby-Server not working (given this device has Intel graphics this may become possible?). In fact streaming 1080p video files does not work as well as with my XU4.

John
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Z83 and DietPi

Post by Fourdee »

Hi John,

Excellent, great to hear :)

You know more than I do in regards to hardware transcoding :D, not something i've had a chance to really dig into yet.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
k-plan

Post by k-plan »

Hi John,

very nice Christmas present and good to read you have so much fun with it.

Can you please share a link to your device with us? Thanks.

We wish you and everyone a merry christmas by the way.

cu
k-plan
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

k-plan wrote: Can you please share a link to your device with us? Thanks.
Hi K-plan,

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mesuvid ... 0.0.THFICq

This was the one I bought but at $87 US (price has gone up, but many similar models available).

When you consider this price includes power supply, 32 MB eMMC on board, Windows 10 license and postage - good value. Quality is another matter, time will tell.

But nice device.

John
k-plan

Post by k-plan »

Hi John,

thanks for the link. :D

cu
k-plan
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

johnvick wrote:Quality is another matter, time will tell.
Yep, i found the plastic case is a little too "plastic fantastic", however, the PCB quality appears top notch.

The beelink AP34 has a metal case, although, its pretty much the same inside all these devices, minus any CPU changes.
Misses is using one for main PC:
https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_617333.html
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

That's a higher spec model than the one I have. Interestingly the cost of a "Linus" model and a Windows one is the same so they are not charging for Windows licence? I seen similar up to i7 on Aliexpress at good prices.

I briefly tried out the my one with Windows seemed quite usable. Extracted to Windows key to possibly transfer to a desktop I'm planning to build.

JOhn
n8xyn

Post by n8xyn »

I just want to report that the newest 6.1 has allowed me to remove an Odroid XU4 form acting as a file server/plex serevr & a Tinker Board from Torrent server/Sickrage box. The Z83-II is doing all the above jobs and is better at Plex then the XU4 which will from time to time bog down. Nice job :-)
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

n8xyn wrote:I just want to report that the newest 6.1 has allowed me to remove an Odroid XU4 form acting as a file server/plex serevr & a Tinker Board from Torrent server/Sickrage box. The Z83-II is doing all the above jobs and is better at Plex then the XU4 which will from time to time bog down. Nice job :-)
Yep, I found the same, great little board the Z83-II, highly recommended.
midnightwatcher

Post by midnightwatcher »

I purchased an Intel Z8350-based mini PC and noticed an immediate 2.5x transfer speed improvement when syncing two external hub drives via the USB 3.0 port vs the USB 2.0 ports on the Odroid C2. These Z83 boxes are an excellent choice to install DietPi 6.x on. Great work!
Last edited by midnightwatcher on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.