Freedombox?

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
rothchild

Freedombox?

Post by rothchild »

I'm really taken by the Freedombox project: http://freedomboxfoundation.org/ I appreciate that it kind of offers some duplicate function of DietPi but along with our shiny new ssl certs it could be a really good way to offer DP users a secure encrypted platform.

I just tried installing it in DP103 and it almost works, but fails on it's installation of Plinth and I can't currently work out why. Now admitedly it is still under development but it as at a point where it mostly works (I ran it from their own image this week and it runs up quite straightforwardly) so I think with a bit of prodding and poking it could be brought to life on DP?
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Freedombox?

Post by Fourdee »

rothchild wrote:I'm really taken by the Freedombox project: http://freedomboxfoundation.org/ I appreciate that it kind of offers some duplicate function of DietPi but along with our shiny new ssl certs it could be a really good way to offer DP users a secure encrypted platform.

I just tried installing it in DP103 and it almost works, but fails on it's installation of Plinth and I can't currently work out why. Now admitedly it is still under development but it as at a point where it mostly works (I ran it from their own image this week and it runs up quite straightforwardly) so I think with a bit of prodding and poking it could be brought to life on DP?
Hi TheChildOfRoth

Looks interesting, although took me a while to find what it actually is from their webpages ( I hate "waffle" talk :) ):
A free software system built to keep your communications free and private whether chatting with friends or protesting in the street
So it's basically a RPi in a box, running debian and some additional pre-installed software? Any idea what the software is they are running?

Shouldn't be too much to run DietPi on it. Ideally i would need the unit to test and implement it. I hate going in blind :)
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
rothchild

Post by rothchild »

Yeah the main webpage is terrible, sorry I should have posted the more useful link: https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox

Current apps and services:

JWChat: XMPP Web Client
Deluge: BitTorrent Web Client
Transmission: BitTorrent Web Client
Shaarli: Bookmarks Web App
Roundcube: Email Web Client
ownCloud: File Hosting Web App
Ikiwiki: Wiki & Blog Web App
Other Services
Tor: Anonymity Network
Hidden service to provide a .onion address for web apps
Download software packages over Tor
Tor SOCKS port available
Ejabberd: XMPP Chat Server
DynamicDNS Client
PageKite: Public Visibility Service
Mumble: Voice Chat Server
Privoxy: Web Proxy Service

So in a lot of ways similar to DP (well owncloud and torrent) but it's all administered through a web page (which is the pinth bit I think).

It runs on a few platforms and they're working towards a buyable bit of hardware, but I just want to run it on my pi (preferably with dietpi to the justice lightweight ;-)
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

rothchild wrote:Yeah the main webpage is terrible, sorry I should have posted the more useful link: https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox

Current apps and services:
So in a lot of ways similar to DP (well owncloud and torrent) but it's all administered through a web page (which is the pinth bit I think).

It runs on a few platforms and they're working towards a buyable bit of hardware, but I just want to run it on my pi (preferably with dietpi to the justice lightweight ;-)
Thanks for the extra info! Great stuff.

Mmmm, looks like they are installing software without providing how they achieved it. Because of this, it would be near impossible to create their system using DietPi as the base. Unless they are willing to give away their installation steps and configs, its going to be tricky and a lengthy process.

On the other hand, we could probably add DietPi ontop of their OS image, this way you would get Ramlog etc. We could also apply optimizations manually for the pre-installed software (eg: LAMP), then create a DietPi/Freedombox style image for users.

If I can get my hands on the device, I could look into it. But with Xmas and everything else, I don't have the funds currently to do this.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
jvalleroy

Post by jvalleroy »

Hello, I'm a FreedomBox contributor and just found this post and thought I could share some information about the project.

FreedomBox is a Debian pure blend, meaning all of the software comes from packages in Debian. The software is installed using packagekit (which basically just runs apt-get).

Some of these packages need additional configuration though, that happens through Plinth's action scripts (https://github.com/freedombox/Plinth/tr ... er/actions). It's different for every package but we generally try to use debconf and/or augeas where possible.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions or would like more details about something specific.