Yunohost incompatible to dietpi-software installer

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: dietpi-software installer results in unusable nextcloud

Post by Fourdee »

When running dietpi-software and installing any software title (regardless of nextcloud), DietPi will set www-data permissions to /var/www:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/blob/ ... 8585-L8587
This is generally considered "standard Linux practice". Ensuring restricted permissions to web applications.
As yunohost uses a different user for NextCloud, this would render it incompatible. (yunohost.app, from what I can work out in their installer script)

In regards to the yunohost install script, it appears its a closed and highly customized one use system that is designed to operate with their methods of installation/configuration.

We do something similar in DietPi, however, we focus on ensuring a stock Linux experience (eg: www-data for web apps), and standard Linux changes are compatible.

I think the only way DietPi (+ manual stock Linux installs) and yunohost would be compatible, is if yunohost could accommodate existing installs of the supported applications, instead of requiring a non-standard custom installation via their install scripts.

As it stands at the moment, there is simply too much customization of yunohost's installation, outside of the standard of Linux, for us to support.
yunohost's installer is by no means a bad thing, ensures the software operates as intended, however, it can limit use of other software outside its scope.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
Allamur

Re: dietpi-software installer results in unusable nextcloud

Post by Allamur »

Thank you Fourdee for your thoughtful answer - I highly appreciate this!
I don't want to force my usecase on everyone else so I just have to deal with this behavior and reset it after each installation or just install the needed software via apt-get.

I think a compatibility list would be a great addition to some kind of documentation about dietpi - but for now this thread may be a good "link to it if something complains about a yunohost installation" thing
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: Yunohost incompatible to dietpi-software installer

Post by MichaIng »

I had a look into this. But I actually couldn't figure out, how yunohost manages different users for (all?) it's web service extensions.

- The webserver needs to have access to the web service folders. It usually uses www-data as user, thus web service folders/files need to be owned by www-data, at least readable, in case of Nextcloud in several cases writeable.
- If you create an own user for every web service and chown it's folders/files to it, the webserver somehow needs to use this different users for the different services. But I didn't found a hint about this in the nginx.conf in this case and no idea, if it is actually possible. At least it would need a separate worker for every service, as the webserver worker is the one, running as usually www-data and would need to run under different user in case.

Just reviewed the Nextcloud specific functions and configurations indeed, so a deeper look into yunohost could give a hint.

But the time/benefit calculation for this is extremely bad. We have to take care, that our ~170 different software offers run within our large range of supported devices without disturbing each other. That is already a huge task. We cannot take care about that in combination with other multi software platforms like yunohost, that offer the same software again with different configuration and implementation. Good that you found a such easy solution with just chown the folder back 8-). "Generally" I would recommend to stay with one platform (DietPi or yunohost) and in case try our Nextcloud implementation. It made some nice steps forward recently and offers several optimizations that I can't see in yunohosts implementation. Might be the same the other way round too :D.

But this is just my opinion is minor contributor. In the end @Fourdee has to decide, if we do something about it :).
Allamur

Re: Yunohost incompatible to dietpi-software installer

Post by Allamur »

Well I don't want anyone to work on this, because I'm possibly the only person on this forum using this combination.
I think both worlds have their pros, dietpi with the beautiful menu, the cloudshell 2 support, a friendly community and so on.
Yunohost has a wonderful webinterface where you have all those webapps under a nice web gui, which is unbeatable in terms of usability and "niceness" :) which you can extend quite easily.

Nextcloud from dietpi would be cool too, it's just the web-gui from yunohost which is - in my personal view - something I really "need" (if you can really need such things)

I just have to know where the possible quirks are and how to circumvent them, that's all.
And as a bonus - if someone uses this as well - have this documented, that other don't have to look for themselves.

So. All in all. Thank you and don't bother about this problem - if I have my webadminpanel working again (which the dietpi-software installer broke as well), I'll be happy for a long time, until the kernel 4.x matured a little bit and to have new issues to solve ;)